Boats backfiring through carb

DaboatnutinWA

Seaman Apprentice
how hard is a rebuild and how much do the parts cost?

Well that all depends on your skill level as a mechanic and how much time and money you have to spend .Have you rebuilt/torn down an engine before?? Im just going to take a shot at this and say you could spend 1000 bucks easy and upwards of 4-5000 to get a good rebuild. Do some research.....call some local machine shops and ask for a quote for your engine.(rebuilt short block assembly) that should give you a good ballpark figure but don't forget there's also the removal and installation process. There's also the option of ordering a complete engine and have it shipped to you. Again....money plays into this in a huge way.

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
okay I might have found one for $1000 just gotta get the details on it

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
My motor I have in it has the throttle on top of the engine, but this one I'm looking at has it on the side what would I have to change?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Probably the easiest to use what was already on the old motor, but you'll have to decide which way is easier,....

johnnypac

Seaman Apprentice
When you say throttle, perhaps your meaning shift cables? The throttle cable goes to the carb, the shift cables on some are on top, others on the side. I believe they use the same shift cables, someone can correct me if I'm wrong please. So that would mean you would not have to change anything, use what you got..... To answer your question

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah shift cables! Couldn't think of what they're called! Okay so that would work then

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
Okay so one question would the compression cause the boat to not plane out or could it be somthing else?????

NHGuy

Captain
No, with 120 on all four and you aren't even sure you have the valves adjusted right, it ought to plane fine. Find out how to set the valve lash, set the carburetor for startup,set you basic timing and do your cam break in run at 1500 to 2500 rpm for 25 or 30 minutes. Vary your engine speeds the whole time. This is the only time it's correct to fire the motor and immediately go to 2000 rpm. But it's important with a replacement cam.
Then change the oil, restart the motor and set the timing and idle mixture.
Then run it and tell us how it acts.

Last edited:

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
I'm actually in the process of the rebuild but was talking with people And they were telling me that it still shouldn't have had such a loss of power so I was just wondering!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
What NHGuy said...readjust the valve lash...then check it. That would give a power loss situation.

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
I took my engine apart and it was not good ended up putting a new one in.... SO I take it out on the lake today and it looses power at around 3/4 throttle... My old 19 pitch prop was used by a friend so I threw a old 23p on there, could the overproping be the no power problem???

Bondo

Staff member
My old 19 pitch prop was used by a friend so I threw a old 23p on there, could the overproping be the no power problem???

Ayuh,..... No doubt a big part of it,..... That's a Big jump in pitch,....

How old is the gas,..??

Zhulkk

Seaman Apprentice
What would be a good size pitch to get for wake boarding,tubing and skiing?