Leaking outdrive? Alpha 1

gandgracing

Cadet
So I'm doing the bellows, senders and new shift cable on a 1990 Alpha 1. I sit the outdrive on its side on a table and a few days later it has leaked out gear oil. It appears its coming from around the driveshaft area. Is this right or does something need fixed? About a month ago I had it at the shop and they said they pressure checked the lower unit and it was fine. I'm a newbie to the boating world. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
So I'm doing the bellows, senders and new shift cable on a 1990 Alpha 1. I sit the outdrive on its side on a table and a few days later it has leaked out gear oil. It appears its coming from around the driveshaft area. Is this right or does something need fixed? About a month ago I had it at the shop and they said they pressure checked the lower unit and it was fine. I'm a newbie to the boating world. Thanks

I would say your shop either didn't pressure test it or did it wrong. There should be no leakage from the drive shaft seal. Going to need to take it apart and replace the shaft seals.

That is if it's not coming from the connection which comes from the lube bottle in the boat

Last edited: