power steering rams interchangeable

cruzinet

Cadet

I have a 1986 Larson cuddy cabin. The outdrive it came with is a Alpha one with the old style power steering ram, upper picture, with a small lower pressure and a large high pressure. I rebuilt a 1999 5.7 efi Bravo engine. The power steering pump has the hose fitting that has the rubber o ring for the high pressure side and the same size fitting for the low pressure side. Of course these fittings will not work with the old style power steering ram.

Is there an adapter to make the fittings work? Also can I use a newer style power steering ram, lower picture, which I know the current hose fittings will work? All of the new style power steering rams say its for a Alpha one gen II or a Bravo outdrive. Does anyone know if it can be used on a regular Alpha one outdrive setup?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You can use the newer style system but you must also have the new lines or the quick connect fittings

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The large line is the return (low pressure) and the small line is the high pressure. Don't get them backwards!

cruzinet

Cadet
I thought the large line was the high pressure. It runs from the pump. The small fitting runs from the cooler.

cruzinet

Cadet
old power steer.jpg new power steer.jpgI have the one on the left. I want to upgrade to the one on the right. Again I have a reg alpha one outdrive and transom plate.

Last edited:

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have been planning the same steering upgrade just has not gotten around to it. You will need to use the 2 hoses that match the newer ram and the small fitting is pressure large is return. The hoses from the old style ram will NOT work. It seem that for the first few years of the new style ram the hoses thread direct into the ram, then Merc went to a quick connect fitting, I am not sure if the hoses are the same. The last thing is one of the 2 clevis pins is also different. I was able to find both hoses used on ebay. Good luck

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I thought the large line was the high pressure. It runs from the pump. The small fitting runs from the cooler.

That's wrong. The small line should run from a threaded fitting in the back of the pump to the ram, the large line should run from the ram to the cooler, then onto a barb on the back of the pump. The line may change back to a small size from the cooler to the pump, but the pressure line (usually the smaller) should run directly from the pump to the ram.

Larger lines are used as the return (low pressure) to reduce back pressure. If you have a large line with high pressure and the return line is smaller, then you develop too much pressure in the return for the system to work properly. Hydraulics 101.

Chris.......