1995 MerCrusier Engine turns over but wont start?

No the mechanic did not mention the lanyard switch at all,However my husband just informed me that the out-drive will go down, but not back up and isn't the lanyard switch some how connected to that too? I know one is on the throttle and the other is close to it, so maybe that could be the issue with both? Right now to move the out-drive up out of the water he has to mess with the wiring in the back of the boat.But he figured once he got it running he could look into getting the drive to move up and down instead of only down

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No the mechanic did not mention the lanyard switch at all,However my husband just informed me that the out-drive will go down, but not back up and isn't the lanyard switch some how connected to that too? I know one is on the throttle and the other is close to it, so maybe that could be the issue with both? Right now to move the out-drive up out of the water he has to mess with the wiring in the back of the boat.But he figured once he got it running he could look into getting the drive to move up and down instead of only down

no kill switch and tilt not connected unless you got really big issues

Did anyone get to look at the Youtube video I posted of the engine trying to crank? It has spark it doesn't stop turning unless we make it, But it just wont run on it it's own with out us turning the key and holding it. We also just notced that there looks to be a button possibly busted on the trottle. Maybe I should just replace the entire throttle quicksilver 3000??

Ok... the Youtube video is finally up! scroll up a few messages and click on the youtube link to hear what we are talking about. Sorry for the loading confusion

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
vid working now, not he expert but kinda slow on the starter but I'm guessing spark

NHGuy

Captain
OK both links work. We see that it cranks, but does not start. Do you know that the control stick needs to be placed in throttle only mode and you will want to give it a couple of pumps of gas, then raise the the throttle a bit til it starts. BUT It sounds as if there's no spark. Do the spark checks. Can you smell any fuel when you crank it?

NHGuy

Captain
OK both links work. We see that it cranks, but does not start. Do you know that the control stick needs to be placed in throttle only mode and you will want to give it a couple of pumps of gas, then raise the the throttle a bit til it starts. BUT It sounds as if there's no spark. Do the spark checks. Can you smell any fuel when you crank it?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
haven't seen this question - have you had it running int he past? Is this a new issue? Or a new to you boat you are trying to get running?

he just tried the slow movement you said " control stick needs to be placed in throttle only mode and you will want to give it a couple of pumps of gas, then raise the the throttle a bit til it starts." it was a no go... so do you think one of the spark plugs are a dud? We will go buy a tester tomorrow and test it if so

We will do the spark plug test tomorrow. and check the lanyard. If that doesn't work then we are at a lost. Anyone know if any great boat mechanics in the Jacksonville Florida area?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it gets a spark. It wants to turn over to crank but doesn't. The sounds are all there, but just doesn't crank completely over, only sounds like it wants to. the year is 1995 it has 8 cylinders it is a 5.0 mercruiser Alpha 1

how did you determine it gets spark?

I thought if it got a spark means, "it turns over" Which it does you can see in the video. Just doesn't fully crank. Just a wife of a construction owner not mechanically inclined. I could help you build a house though, :)