Remove flywheel without removing engine?

nigels

Seaman
I need to replace the ring gear on my 1999 4.3 it sits in a Trophy 2052 FD, I have the ring gear ,tools, gear case gaskets, o rings engine hoists timber for gantry waiting and ready and am just waiting to get our moving house and in to it to keep the boss happy...out of the way first. Then I saw a post somewhere where someone said I should be able to remove the leg and shaft, remove the flywheel cover unbolt and remove the flywheel from above without removing the engine. Is this possible is there room in there to do this, any one ever done it this way?

If it can be done without doing in my knees and back it might be the way to go?

dozerII

Admiral
Not going to happen without pulling the motor as far as I can see, the rear motor mounts are built into the flywheel cover, so to pull it you have to lift the motor, plus trying to work back there around the y-pipe and steering would be way worse than pulling the motor.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Agree.....Much easier to remove the motor than to fight the clearence problem.....But not saying it cant be done. Support the back of the motor with the hoist and get a smaller/skinny person with long limbo arms.

Pull the motor and R&R it.....Like fresh motor paint......clean and repaint the bilge area...ect.

Bondo

Staff member
I need to replace the ring gear on my 1999 4.3 it sits in a Trophy 2052 FD, I have the ring gear ,tools, gear case gaskets, o rings engine hoists timber for gantry waiting and ready and am just waiting to get our moving house and in to it to keep the boss happy...out of the way first. Then I saw a post somewhere where someone said I should be able to remove the leg and shaft, remove the flywheel cover unbolt and remove the flywheel from above without removing the engine. Is this possible is there room in there to do this, any one ever done it this way?

If it can be done without doing in my knees and back it might be the way to go?

Ayuh,..... Just because ya read it on the internet, Don't mean it's true,...... ;)

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well since you gotta pull the motor to replace the flywheel, I don't think you can replace the flywheel without pulling the motor.