Merc 470 Alternator Conversion

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Got everything running great and now the voltage regulator is going. It charges at about 13.5 to 14.5 at idle, but goes up to about 16.5 as the RPM goes up. I guess I was kind of expecting this sooner or later anyway. Is the breezeworks kit still the way to go or are the any other viable options?

Also, I have a Perko switch and almost always run it on "all" (2 batteries of course). Could that have hastened the failure of the voltage regulator.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I really like my Breezeworks kit. I don't think running "both" should make much difference, they just eventually fail.

I don't believe the dual batts with Perko switch effects the VR failure. As a bolt on kit, Breezeworks offers the easiest kit. They have a high and low mount depending on if you have power steering. Guess no steering could go with either one?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Be careful when you tighten the bolts against the aluminum cover. Use a torque wrench and do not overtighten or you could crack the cover, don't ask me how I know :(

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Received the kit today. That was fast. I will start on it tomorrow. I think I will bite the bullet and remove the harmonic balancer/rotor and take the stator out of there. It should only take 20 to 30 minutes since this will be my 3rd time I have had it apart.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I am just about done but have a couple questions --

1. Does the coil (stock) need to be completely vertical or can it be mounted at an angle?

2. Where did you guys mount your coolant overflow reservoir?

Thanks!

I relocated my coil horizontal. Small Block Chevys use to mount the coil horizontally on the intake manifold near the distributor. Mine has been like that a couple years now no issues.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Mount your coil any way you like. My expansion tank is mounted on the transom. Put yours any where you like, just try to keep it at the same height, relative to the coolant reservoir that you have now.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'll take a pic of mine. Forget what exactly I mounted it to, but it was very convenient

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks for the advice on the Breezeworks kit guys! It was truly plug and play. Installation was under 2 hours (most of that time was removing the stator) and it works perfectly.

By the way - I wound up mounting the overflow/expansion tank on the transom. I hated to drill into my new transom, but with some 5200 in the holes I am sure it will be fine.

Last edited: