1999 Alpha One Gen 2 Drive Oil Connector broke & shift cable linkage removal

wojtek9321

Cadet
My 1999 Searay 185 BR with an Alpha One Gen II and 3.0L Mercruiser is getting a little bit of a restoration so I can put her in the water at the marina without worries. I've run into a little bit of a snag. Pulling the bellhousing off I snapped the connector on the transom side that the drive oil hose attaches to. I can't seem to find the part on or information on how to remove it. If you look directly at the gimbal bearing it's immediately to the right. I've attached a photo. I tried emailing a dealer but got no response so I figured I'd see if anyone can help me.

Also anyone know how this shift cable disconnects at the linkage?

I'm doing a lot of work so I'll fill the thread with some more photos.

Bondo

Staff member
My 1999 Searay 185 BR with an Alpha One Gen II and 3.0L Mercruiser is getting a little bit of a restoration so I can put her in the water at the marina without worries. I've run into a little bit of a snag. Pulling the bellhousing off I snapped the connector on the transom side that the drive oil hose attaches to. I can't seem to find the part on or information on how to remove it. If you look directly at the gimbal bearing it's immediately to the right. I've attached a photo. I tried emailing a dealer but got no response so I figured I'd see if anyone can help me.

Also anyone know how this shift cable disconnects at the linkage?

I'm doing a lot of work so I'll fill the thread with some more photos.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... No pictures I can see,....

I've had the Best luck, hostin' the pictures at photobucket, 'n puttin' their links into [image]yer link to hosted picture[/image]

The broken fittin' is accessed from Inside the transom,....
'n there's info, 'n vid's on the shift cable, up in Don'S Adults Only section,...

wojtek9321

Cadet
Thanks here are the photos, I used photobucket per your advice.

Thank you so much for a link to that PDF. Page 4B-8 shows the diagram I needed. I saw it before but never in this great detail. I figured out I need #46. I'm curious how it screws in since it has a nipple barbed end sticking out. Is it like a bolt that needs the nuts taken off from the engine bay end of the transom and then it pulls out the back end?

Also I did check the Adults Only sticky first but I must have missed it. I will check back. Although I'm not referring to the special tool needed. I have my welder out ready to weld up the right socket and nut once I get the linkage off :)

wojtek9321

Cadet
I just checked the DIY section and could not find anything on that. I'm almost wondering if it's suppose to pull right through but there's a problem with my linkage? I don't know lol. I keep messing with it but it won't go through.

wojtek9321

Cadet
Here's the part I need. I think based on the nuts it unscrews from the engine side. Anyone know the part # for that? I looked at some stores and they don't have all the parts that the PDF has shown on their diagrams.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

wojtek9321

Cadet
Ahhh I never disconnected the shifter cable on the motor end. I didn't realize it was the inner that pulls out. Solved that problem now to figure out what parts #42 - 46 are! Thanks everyone for all your help, you all really make this so much easier.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
waiting to have a motor pulled to replace the transom housing , will have pics of the parts , hoping the new transom comes with it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
On a 2006 the oil fitting is held in by a "C" clip inside the boat. the fitting has 2 O rings to seal it in the housing. there is a boss cast into the housing to keep it from spinning. To replace it you must remove the "C" clip and simply push it out from the inside.The diagram shows a nut so they updated that to a C clip
The housing I will be showing how to add the grease fitting with measurements and instructions
DSCN2567_zpse0069a5a.jpg

speedometer fitting screws in from inside the boat
DSCN2565_zps8f513790.jpg

DSCN2566_zps53d80f8c.jpg

in the 8:00 position is where the oil fitting goes for the drive
DSCN2564-Copy_zps14760df9.jpg

the oil fitting
DSCN2562-Copy_zpsf14f32f2.jpg

DSCN2561-Copy_zps985bd92d.jpg