Swapping a late 80s 4.3 Mercruiser/outdrive into our 98 Glastron

mncandyman

Recruit
I have a 98 Glastron with a blown 4.3 Volvo Penta. I found a local guy with a 4.3 Mercruiser including the outdrive. He isn't sure of the year but said it is between 85 and 89. Both engine and outdrive were rebuilt recently...he says they have maybe 10 hours on them. Would it be possible to install this into our boat without a bunch of changes?

thumpar

Admiral
You would pretty much have to use everything from the Mercruiser from pully to prop. I believe the keyhole is the same but may need some little changes. If it is just the engine that is bad you could just use the Merc block and keep all your engine externals.

On second thought, there may be some problems since there were some changes to the 4.3l along the years. A complete swap my be the only option.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 98 Glastron with a blown 4.3 Volvo Penta. I found a local guy with a 4.3 Mercruiser including the outdrive. He isn't sure of the year but said it is between 85 and 89. Both engine and outdrive were rebuilt recently...he says they have maybe 10 hours on them. Would it be possible to install this into our boat without a bunch of changes?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... Anything is possible with enough determination, effort, 'n Money,....

You'd be Way ahead on All 3 to just drop in a reman long block into yer boat, usin' the parts ya got,....

Are You gonna turn the wrenches, or are ya hirin' the work out,..??

mncandyman

Recruit
I have a mechanic that is marrying into the family in a month and a half...then he will have to help us. After talking to the guy selling it I am going back to the idea of a reman long block. He claims he is selling it for a buddy that is getting divorced and his wife won't sign off so he can get the title for the boat. Sounds a bit fishy.

Any recommendations for long block sources?

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1998 chevy blazer, chevy astro, gmc jimmy, gmc safari... anything GM truck with a 4.3 from around 1998 will work.. $200 at the pick a part junkyard.

Bondo

Staff member
1998 chevy blazer, chevy astro, gmc jimmy, gmc safari... anything GM truck with a 4.3 from around 1998 will work.. $200 at the pick a part junkyard.

Ayuh,.... Why '98,..?? 1996 was the Intro of the Vortec fast burn heads,....

mncandyman

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. Am I better off going with a junkyard block than one of the reman shops?

Any idea what the value of the boat is if I was to sell it as a project? The rest of the boat is in great shape.