I need help locating a new motor...

Allen Conrad

Cadet
Need help with my locked up mercruiser. ...

My name is Allen. I live in Pittsburgh. Im looking to replace a motor in my boat. Having all kinds of problems finding a reasonabl and reportable mechanic with out an attitude. I have a 1985 mercruiser now that is locked up found many replacement engines for good prices but when I do a review search for them nothing come with good stories. Is there anyone out there thats honest any more. Im starting to think that I will never get to use my boat again. Please help reply to my post...

Last edited by a moderator:

Allen Conrad

Cadet
My name is Allen. I live in Pittsburgh. Im looking to replace a motor in my boat. Having all kinds of problems finding a reasonabl and reportable mechanic with out an attitude. I have a 1985 mercruiser now that is locked up found many replacement engines for good prices but when I do a review search for them nothing come with good stories. Is there anyone out there thats honest any more. Im starting to think that I will never get to use my boat again. Please help reply to my post

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Allen. I removed you phone number because it is against forum rules to post personal information. I take it from reading your post, you are looking for a rebuilt motor from a good supplier. Also, have you thought about finding a donor boat with a good motor?

If you post in the Mercruiser section about your problem and tell them what model M/C you have, the guys may have answers for you. There are several reputable suppliers of rebuilt motors, but in your post identify what you're looking for. Good luck.

Allen Conrad

Cadet
Thanks GA boater. Didnt know about the personal info thing im a newbie. Im still trying to figure this site out and it took me for ever to learn how to post this info. How do I post there and which forum should I post on. Some info on the engine. I have a 1985 260 mercruiser. I have the casting number 14010207. The guy I bought the boat from said its a truck long block and he switched out all the essential parts. It ran fine until what I believe was an exhaust manifold failer. And the motor shut down on me and locked up. Im looking to do the same as he did. But buying new exhaust manifolds. Lol. Ive also came across Rebuilt marine long blocks threw pep boys and advanced auto nothing good ive read for advanced auto. So that idea is dead. Still need to investigate pep boys.

GA_Boater

I'm going to move this into the Mercruiser section, Allan. That's the easiest way.

To start a new topic, Click FORUMS at the top of the page. That takes you an index of all the sections in the iboats forums. Click on a section, for example, under Engine Repair And Maintenance is Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives, click that and all the topics will be listed. To start a new topic, At the top over the topic list, is a light blue box labled "+ New Topic". Cliacxk that and you get a Create New Topic page. Fill in the title, your question and the Post button. That's it.
But I'm moving this, so it will be the over there. There are some knowledgeable members there.

One thing you can't do in iboats forums is solicit for purchase or sale.

Rule 8. You may not solicit any personal transaction (buy, sell, rent, trade free, donate, etc.) in the forum. This includes solicitations for charitable and non-profit causes. Personal transactions arranged completely by Private Message are not affected by this rule. Solicitation by PM must be preceded by contact in the forum. Please note: threads or posts that give extensive details on anything that is for sale will be assumed to be an attempt to advertise and are subject to deletion. If you are selling a boat - paid advertising through iboats is acceptable to post in the forum. A link to the ad is mandatory and must be included in your post. Signature links for boats advertised on iboats are acceptable. We encourage members to use this service.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Any idea why it is locked up? Sometimes they get hydrolocked due to bad manifolds. If you remove the spark plugs, will she turn over and spit the water out?

Allen Conrad

Cadet
Good morning Chris. I tried pulling the spark plugs. Nothing . I put marvales mystery oil in it still doesnt turn over. I believe water did get into it and bent a conecting rod. You can hear it hit with the little movement it does have.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Allen back on topic. Are you sure the old motor is shot? Tell us what happened.......

GA_Boater

To echo Checkmate - What is wrong? A motor can seem to be locked and it's the outdrive. I'm not saying it is the OD, but something to eliminate.

Allen Conrad

Cadet
I believe one of my lower exhaust manifolds failed. Causing water to go into one or several of the pistons and bending a conecting rod. When I pulled the spark plugs and tried to turn it over by hand with the little amount of play it does have you can hear it or something else hitting inside. I have it at a mechanic friend now first he didnt want to do the job do to his age but decided yesterday he would do this last boat just for me. He's a master mechanic that only does bikes and cars now. So now I guess I wait To see what he finds in it.

Allen Conrad

Cadet
Now on another subject. Can somebody give me a straight answer here. I've heard many things that are so contradictory. Is it or is it not a possibility to use a truck engine and convert it over to a marine engine. I'm looking to replace the motor I have now wich is a mercruiser 260 with a 350 4 bolt main 1/2 ton to a full ton truck long block it mabey even a corvette motor of similar characteristics. Now I do understand I have to switch out my marine parts such as the starter, carb, water pump, oil pan, gaskets, freeze plugs, core plugs and exhaust and the list continues. Just really to much to list. Also what about the bearings, the cam and the crank shaft. One person or article says no. Then another says yes. Its very confusing and even a slight bit frustrating. I myself believe it's possible do to my experience with engine rebuilds and how strong they can be made. I honestly think this is something the con artists marines don't want US to know. What is really the truth with this matter?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
You can do it but make sure the cam is correct or you could get water reversion unless you a running dry thru hull exhaust. I know several people who have done it. By the time you do all of that it might be cheaper, maybe or maybe not, to get a rebuilt boat motor (long or short block) depending upon what needs to be done to it; heads, crank, block, etc. Your other motor might not be as bad off. I would check the drive also.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Now we know the story. Bummer..... Let your guy take it apart and see whats up.
As far as the truck motor...yes it can be done and happens all the time. Key things.... need the same vintage motor as what you have, like 2 pc rear main or 1 pc. That way your exsiting engine coupler will work. They do make a converter coupler....... A stock truck cam is about the same as a marine cam...so thats ok. Use S.S. head gaskets, but all the rest are the same. Use Felpro gaskets and Brass core plugs.

No difference in a marine motor vs a truck motor as far as the internals...just the marinzed externals.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Allen Conrad

Cadet
One more question. How often or with in how many hours should the exhaust manifolds should be changed out. If its ran in fresh water. And should the upper exhaust manifold be changed as regularly as the bottom manifolds?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
All depends on condition of the manifolds/risers......... If they look good turn them upside down and pour acetone in the water jacket and check for leaks in the dry exhaust passage. The flange faces need to be free of deep rust pits ect... the space between the dry and wet ports needs to have meat on them....... If they look good you could always have a mach shop take off a few thous on the mating surfaces. Flat and true as Bondo would say.

5-10 yrs on fresh water......5 yrs on salt water

I have a 1986 with the 350-260 hp and my manifolds/risers were ok. Have taken them off several times and they only have some small pits on the flange faces. Word of wisdom do not use the green gaskets......get OEM gaskets for the exhaust, they seal so much better.

To add..... i still have the origanal log style exhaust on my 1981 checkmate...Ok to my likeing.

Allen Conrad

Cadet
Im having problems posting i cant find the new form button. Is it possible i lost the privalage because i broke a rule. And how can i correct this.

Fun Times

Staff member
Im having problems posting i cant find the new form button. Is it possible i lost the privalage because i broke a rule. And how can i correct this.
Hi there Allen, I can assure you didn't break a rule to lose your posting privileges.:)

If you'd like to start a new thread, then you should be able to select the sub forum of your choice and on the top left corner you should see "+ New Topic".

If you can't locate the New Topic and you would like to start a new topic here in the Mercruiser forum then this link should get you there quicker. http://forums.iboats.com/new-content/32

If the new topic don't belong in this area, no problem at all as we will just move it for you with a :).