alpha one bellhousings

keijonen123

Cadet
Hi all, Question might sound a bit stupid but Iam a biy confused which bellhousing/outdrive I actually have. My outdrive s/n is 0D696374 which is alpha gen 2 but which is confusing me is that my U-joint bellow is attached with clamps on both ends and I have understood that alpha gen 2 should have one clamp and one expander. How is this possible?!? Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that number dosent come up. post some pics using photobucket.com. you are correct in the bellow attachments

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That number comes up as a Gen II drive for me. And the drawing shows a hose clamp and a locking ring, just like any other Gen II. Do you know any history on the engine/drive? It may have had the bell housing replaced, and they got it wrong... :facepalm:

keijonen123

Cadet
Hi, is it possible to have gen 1 bellhousing and gen 2 outdrive and everything bolts on fine? I post some pictures..

keijonen123

Cadet
Hi,

Please does anyone know is it possible to bolt gen 2 drive on gen 1 bellhousing?? I think I have this kind of setup. And on the other side it seems that I have gen 1 gimball ring as well. Please help me understand my setup.

Thanks,

keijonen123

Cadet
The link for the pictures... How could I forgot :)...
Another strange thing is that when we bolt on my friends gen 2 outdrive, the upper shift shaft seemed to be too short. So obviously my gen 2 drive lower unit has longer lower shift shaft. My boat seems to be a real puzzle :(....

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
definitely a GEN II drive using a Alpha shift part????? If you have clamps on both sides of the gimbal ,then its a Alpha gimbal. Definitely Alpha shift components
Do see an aluminum ring inside the gimbal housing (GEN II)or no? (Alpha) page 4A-8 in here http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14a4.pdf

Last edited:

keijonen123

Cadet
Thanks!,

Do you mean the aluminium ring sealing the u-joint bellows rear-end? No, I dont have that one.. Only clamps.. Do you reccognize my gimball ring and housing? alpha one or gen 2? for me it seems that also gimball ring is alpha one and gen2 housing.

Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Difficult to see from the angle of the photos, but from what I do see, that's a Gen II gimbal ring (locking clips on the front trim ram pins, not nuts) and it does appear to be an Alpha one bell housing (not oil reservoir feed port on the starboard side of it).

Could you post a photo of the upper shift shaft seal in the bell housing?