overheating issue

wtg2320

Seaman
I have an 88 mercruiser 2.5L alpha one. I had it on the water yesterday and it was running really hot, 190+. When i had it mid throttle the temp would drop to 150-160 almost immediatley. Higher throttle and idle would make it overheat. I know it could be anything from waterpump to the thermostat. Question is, the way that it is acting is there a way to narrow it down without replacing everything?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Chances are you need a new impeller in the outdrive, start there. How long has it been since the impeller has been changed?

Bondo

Staff member
I have an 88 mercruiser 2.5L alpha one. I had it on the water yesterday and it was running really hot, 190+. When i had it mid throttle the temp would drop to 150-160 almost immediatley. Higher throttle and idle would make it overheat. I know it could be anything from waterpump to the thermostat. Question is, the way that it is acting is there a way to narrow it down without replacing everything?

Ayuh,..... Replace the Impeller, it's always the very 1st place to start, in any over-heat situation,...