1978 "Bayliner Saratoga" with MerCruiser MCM 228 serial #5023202 won't start

SmellyBudd

Cadet
1978 "Bayliner Saratoga" with MerCruiser MCM 228 serial #5023202 won't start

Hi. I'm having a problem getting my MerCruiser to start. It turns over and over and there is spark but, for some reason, it still wont fire. I took a spark plug out to check the tip and it's bone dry so i tried putting a little gas directly into the carb. Still dry and not firing.

I don't know a lot about engines in general, never mind marine engines, so I've tried everything i can think of.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi. I'm having a problem getting my MerCruiser to start. It turns over and over and there is spark but, for some reason, it still wont fire. I took a spark plug out to check the tip and it's bone dry so i tried putting a little gas directly into the carb. Still dry and not firing.

I don't know a lot about engines in general, never mind marine engines, so I've tried everything i can think of.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That certainly complicates things abit,.... If it's Sparkin', try pourin' 'bout an once of fuel down the carb, 'n crank it,... If it don't Fire off, ya need a Mechanic,.... Have ya checked the contents of the fuel Filter for Crud, 'n debris,..??

SmellyBudd

Cadet
Checked and it seems alright. I poured some methyl hydrate in and it fired a couple times but I can't keep it running. It also backfires every once in awhile.

Bondo

Staff member
Checked and it seems alright. I poured some methyl hydrate in and it fired a couple times but I can't keep it running. It also backfires every once in awhile.

Ayuh,.... So it Ain't gettin' it's Fuel,.... It could be anything from the fuel tank to the carb,...

SmellyBudd

Cadet
I fixed the air siphon valve and replaced the fuel filter, didn't start. So I replaced the fuel pump (after testing it) and then the plugs. Started right up! =D It ran for awhile, then it slowly started making a whining noise and then stopped dead after making a weird spinning noise (kinda like if you put a washer on a spinning drill bit). I put a wrench on the cam and it turns ok but now when I turn the key the starter just clicks and the cables jump... I have a feeling the starter didn't disengage once the engine was running and the engine burnt out the starter.

Bondo

Staff member
I fixed the air siphon valve and replaced the fuel filter, didn't start. So I replaced the fuel pump (after testing it) and then the plugs. Started right up! =D It ran for awhile, then it slowly started making a whining noise and then stopped dead after making a weird spinning noise (kinda like if you put a washer on a spinning drill bit). I put a wrench on the cam and it turns ok but now when I turn the key the starter just clicks and the cables jump... I have a feeling the starter didn't disengage once the engine was running and the engine burnt out the starter.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like the starter is, Literally, Fallin' off the block,.....

SmellyBudd

Cadet
No it still seems intact but I'm gonna take it off and have a look at it. Maybe it can be rebuilt.

SmellyBudd

Cadet
Got the starter out. It took 3 days! Holy monkey was that tough to get out.. Anyway... took it to someone to have it rebuilt, when he pulled it apart everything fell on the floor :p. So I bought a new one and put it back in (much easier than taking it out) and I rewired my ignition switch. Now the starter shuts off when i stop twisting the key and voila! she runs! I had it going for 15-20 mins just to get everything moving, then I tried to put it in gear. There was a little bit of grinding but then it popped in so I tried reverse... the same grinding but once it's in reverse the engine stalls. The grinding sounds like it's coming from inside the out-drive and my buddy says it could be the "gimbal bearing"? For now I just drained all of the gear oil from the out-drive and replaced it with new. I've never heard of a gimbal bearing..

Edit:
I googled the gimbal bearing and the grinding i hear isn't coming from that. It sounds more like one spinning gear trying to connect to another that isn't/won't.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
grinding going into gear is normal for the alpha type drive. stalling is caused by a bad lower shift cable in most cases.

SmellyBudd

Cadet
I forgot to mention that I'm testing this boat in my driveway with muffs on... could that be the reason reverse isn't working?

The system is NOT designed to work when putting the drive into gear, or when the boat is out of the water and on muffs. Without the load on the prop, there is not enough resistance on the shift dogs in the lower unit to cause resistance to the shift cable and engage the shift interrupt system.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...t-system-works

Last edited:

SmellyBudd

Cadet
I fired it up again, tried reverse and everything worked.. Maybe the oil change helped or the cable isn't quite done yet? I don't know but we put it in the water today and aside from the odd stall and needing methyl hydrate to start for the first time that day, everything is in working order. Now it's time for tune-ups! :joyous: I'm gonna replace the air siphon valve to see if that helps it start up at the beginning of the day.

Thanks for all the help! I never could have had her running without it. Hopefully once I have a little more experience I'll be able to contribute.