(HELP) new Starter spins as soon as battery is hooked up

madprops2

Recruit
Hi I'm new here and I hope someone can help,

I just changed my starter on my 96 5.7 mercruiser and as soon as switch on the battery it starts to spin but it doesn't engage. I didn't think you could hook up the wires wrong but I guess I did. There were 3 wires going to one pole and one skinny wire going to a smaller pole. I didn't look at which order the 3 going to the same pole were cause I didn't think it would matter. Now as soon as I switch on the battery it spins but doesn't engage. I really hope some one here can help me out. the dealers parts guys are not in on Sundays. I was really hoping to take my fiancée to be out as part of an ongoing thing I'm doing before I propose..... PLEASE HELP

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the upper most stud takes the battery cable, the red system power and the orange alt wire. the small lug closest to the engine gets the small yellow/red wire.
you connect nothing to the bottom lug. it already has the feed for the starter motor.
IMG_1747.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
sounds like you hooked up the battery cable to the field post of the starter. Are there two large posts on the starter solenoid? Is there a wire going from the bottom post into the starter?

madprops2

Recruit
the upper most stud takes the battery cable, the red system power and the orange alt wire. the small lug closest to the engine gets the small yellow/red wire.
you connect nothing to the bottom lug. it already has the feed for the starter motor.
IMG_1747.jpg

Ok ill check to make sure that's how I did it tomorrow morning. Does it matter which one of the 3 wires goes on the stud first?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

madprops2

Recruit
sounds like you hooked up the battery cable to the field post of the starter. Are there two large posts on the starter solenoid? Is there a wire going from the bottom post into the starter?

ill make sure I didn't do this tomorrow morning and post up an update

Speakrdude

Ensign
Or your battery + cable twisted while tightening and is touching one of the other post.

It does not matter which wire goes first, once you tighten the nut down, they all touch together anyway, but personally I would put them in from largest to smallest in diameter.

It does not matter which wire goes first, once you tighten the nut down, they all touch together anyway, but personally I would put them in from largest to smallest in diameter. Just make sure no wires are touching any other posts they're not connected to.