need help with new Gimbal bearing install

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently removed my gimbal bearing and though there is a grease fitting on the housing, I noticed the bearing itself was a curvedrounded steel with no access to the inner bearing. It also seems the new one i bought had the hole in the bearing housing but no access to the inner bearing.

After installing the new bearing (Slots out) I tried greasing the bearing and noticed the grease coming out the back side. I made sure the hole was lined up with the grease port. And, I was not certain it was all the way in as it seems to stick out about a 32nd to 16th or so further than what I remember. I jsut couldn't get it to go any further and I did not feel any gap on the backside.

So question is, is it possible I have non greasable and would it hurt to try and spin the bearing to remove and double check? If I spin it will it pull out by hand?

thanks.

1999 Sea Ray 190
mercruiser 4.3l mpi
Alpha One Gen II

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
~~recently removed my gimbal bearing and though there is a grease fitting on the housing, I noticed the bearing itself was a curvedrounded steel with no access to the inner bearing
Nope, there is a tiny hole in the outer race of the bearing, there is a small groove around the inside of the tolerance ring. You must install the bearing with the hole locating in the slotted area. Then you line up the 1/4 hole in the tolerance ring on/near the hole in the transom housing where the grease comes thru.

~~And, I was not certain it was all the way in as it seems to stick out about a 32nd to 16th or so further than what I remember. I jsut couldn't get it to go any further and I did not feel any gap on the backside.
What tool did you use to install it? If not fully seated the U joints will make contact with it.

Last edited:

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did. I geuss I didn't describe the components correctly. The gimbal Housing has the zerk fitting. I marked the hole location on the inside of the GH and the hole location on the bearing tolerance ring. I thought it was dead on after hammering in the bearing. As I said I installed slots out after the nightmare of removing the old bearing. I did notice the grooved slot on the underside of the old tolerance ring so I am familiar with the design.

Wouldn't hurt to spin the new bearing and see if the grease is actually passing into the tolerance ring would it?

What tool did you use to install it? If not fully seated the U joints will make contact with it.
I used GB install tool.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
from the grease fitting the grease enters the tolerance ring thru the hole and travels in the small groove until it finds the small hole in the bearing, then is visable coming out at the inner bearing..The groove is slightly off-set .this is why you must be certain when rotating the bearing in the slots that you rotate it the correct way so the hole ends up in the slotted area. If not, go grease can enter the bearing.
IMG_0642.jpg

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

So you saying it enters the hole exposed by the tolerance ring and follows a groove on the inside of the bearing housing then enters a small hole as shown in this image http://www.mercstuff.com/images/gimbal34.jpg. I assume this is a picture of an outer race and the part the drive shaft goes thru would be the inner?

I assume i can rotate it in either direction opposite the removal slots.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yes to both. but installing it correctly is what counts. That hole in the outer race must locate in the inner groove of the tolerance ring for it to receive any grease

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
I am doing mine too, and im on my second gimbal bearing as the first was letting the grease come out the front side on mine.and I couldn't get the drive back on it got stuck with just a inch to go.maybe alignment, not shure.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well, looks like i'm on number two as well. Trying to spin a bearing is fruitless. there is almost no way to do this without dinging the seals between the outer and inner races. With the bellows and gimbal housing on you can't move it very far with an alignment bar either. At this pace I'll never get on the water.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you use your fingers to spin the bearing, gimbal bearing needs very little movement to get it lined up with the coupler

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fingers? I couldn't do that with it out of the box. Even the old one needed force to spin.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No, you can turn it with your fingers right out of the box. After the install, you can turn it with your fingers.

SC_Regal

Petty Officer 3rd Class
some of the new (if not all) of the gimbal bearings are sealed and no longer have a hole that align. Do a search and you will find plenty of info. As for seating the bearing - it is worth buying a tool off ebay that is an alignment tool, bearing driver, bellow ring tool. It was not much, I think about $35. You could also try to borrow one. If you plan on doing your own work it is a must - every time you change the bearing you need to align with this tool

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
@sc_regal Thanks for the info. I do have those items and now have a sealed bearing.

One other question I have is how far onto the drive shaft does the the bearing sit, over the double o-ring section?

If I measure the length that is what it appears to be but I want to make sure. I suppose with the grease on it, it slides onto those rings quite easily.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, you can turn it with your fingers right out of the box. After the install, you can turn it with your fingers.
This new one I have does not spin either. 0 for 3.

Has anyone else been able to spin the bearing and have you installed it slots out?

The two O'rings are suppose to sit inside the gimbal bearing. No grease on the O'rings only the splined end of the shaft.

Light oil on the O'rings, no grease or may make installing the drive difficult later.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The two O'rings are suppose to sit inside the gimbal bearing. No grease on the O'rings only the splined end of the shaft.

Light oil on the O'rings, no grease or may make installing the drive difficult later.

Thanks!. And for the grease/transom seal I greased it previously. I assume it should be lightly greased too?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Exactly what are you calling the transom seal, the drive mounting gasket? The large rubber ring is glued in place, not greased in place.

beruken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Exactly what are you calling the transom seal, the drive mounting gasket? The large rubber ring is glued in place, not greased in place.

the oil or grease seal between the gimbal bearing and the coupler. Why some call it oil seal I don't know. The manual is showing it as a grease seal. 26-88416