mercruiser 140 cranks when battery is connected

ksteele427

Recruit
I have a 1978 140 mercruiser. When my battery is connected my boat continues to turn over even with the key out. I replaced my slave solenoid but the problem persist. I was thinking of replacing my started solenoid next but was not sure if this could be the issue

Fun Times

Staff member
I was thinking of replacing my started solenoid next but was not sure if this could be the issue
While it very well could be an internal starter solenoid issue make sure no power wires are touching each other at the starter. Also you could have an internal problem with the key switch itself where two contacts may be making contact with each other acting as if the key is in the start position. So test your key switch as well. Hope you find it with out much trouble, good luck.:)

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1978 140 mercruiser. When my battery is connected my boat continues to turn over even with the key out. I replaced my slave solenoid but the problem persist. I was thinking of replacing my started solenoid next but was not sure if this could be the issue

Ayuh,.... I'm with Fun Times,.... Diagnose it Before ya throw money at a pile of parts,.... a simple Test Light is all ya need,.... Manuals, 'n more info is available up in Don'S Adults Only section,...