Loss of power

BIGALF1

Cadet
My 5.7 Mercruiser TB EFI lost power. I started ok but when I put it in gear it would only go at low RPM and then when I put it in neutral it sounded the alarm when I reved it up then went off .I couldn't restart up the engine. I had new spark plugs put in and a distributer cap replaced and rotor replaced 2 month ago. It ran fine until the 3rd outing when this happened. any Ideas???

alldodge

Staff member
My 5.7 Mercruiser TB EFI lost power. I started ok but when I put it in gear it would only go at low RPM and then when I put it in neutral it sounded the alarm when I reved it up then went off .I couldn't restart up the engine. I had new spark plugs put in and a distributer cap replaced and rotor replaced 2 month ago. It ran fine until the 3rd outing when this happened. any Ideas???

:welcome: to iboats

We could use a bit more info. What is the engine serial number, or at least the year? Is your outdrive a Bravo of Alpha? When was the last time the impeller was changed?

BIGALF1

Cadet
It's a BRAVO lll outdrive on a 2006 rebuilt engine new water pump and stat on Aug 2013. engine OK022420 for the 1997 original 5.7 EFI engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Start with checkin' the Contents of the fuel filter for anything but gasoline,.....

BIGALF1

Cadet
Pumped out a lot of water in the gas tank. I guess I got to start using non ethinol fuel.This is the first time this happen.maybe I just got a bad fill at the gas station.
It ran great today.with good fueland a new IAC valve and water fuel filter. I guess I start using good gas with no corn.

BIGALF1

Cadet
Pumped out a lot of water in tankwith fuel.Iguess I got to start using good gas with non ethinol fuel. I will also start using Formula X2 Gas Aditive

BIGALF1

Cadet
Pumped out a lot of water in tankwith fuel.Iguess I got to start using good gas with non ethinol fuel. I will also start using Formula X2 Gas Aditive Boat ran fine today.

BIGALF1

Cadet
Alarm went off again and it went on slow speed and will not run full open with out alarm going on.Fuel was checked again and it still is not working. Service guy is confused and looking at everything he can.

Bondo

Staff member
Alarm went off again and it went on slow speed and will not run full open with out alarm going on.Fuel was checked again and it still is not working. Service guy is confused and looking at everything he can.

Ayuh,.... So go to post #4, check the Contents of the fuel filter,....

BIGALF1

Cadet
think we just found the problem. Tech just called me after working on my boat for many hours confused. He was running the engine and looking at the engine when he saw a spark and the alarm went off and the engine droped RPM.He saw where the wire connected to the,I think he said starter, was nicked and when the wire touched the engine the alarm would go on the the engine would drop rpm.