3.0 motor starting?

travt

Recruit
Hey I just got a sea ray w/3.0 not starting changed slave solenoid still clicking at starter w/12 volts through it,does anyone think starter is stuck it will jump over not w/key??

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey I just got a sea ray w/3.0 not stating changed slave solenoid still clicking at starter w/12 volts through it,does anyone think starter is stuck it will jump over not w/key??

:welcome: to iboats

I think your saying that if you turn the key all you get is a click. If you jump the starter (with a screw driver across the solenoid) it does turn the engine over.

If the above two statements are true start by cleaning connections. Start at the battery and work your way though all cables, make sure to remove and clean the ground cable going to the block. Make sure you have a fully changed battery. Find out if you jump across the slave solenoid if it will start.

travt

Recruit
Hey yeah battery is charged to 12v,I;ll put it in some water and jump it .I'll let ya know thanks

travt

Recruit
Hey does anyone know the best way to check a 3.0 mercruiser ignition module,I changed slave solenoid ,the ignition coil and cap reading good ohms on low and high side,I'm getting 9.5 volts across slave sld. when I turn key??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
ignition module has nothing to do with cranking and starting the motor. try shorting the 2 large lugs on the slave and report the results. Bad/dirty/corroded battery cable connections are possable too

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
We'll also need to know what year or engine serial number your engine is/has as designs have changed over the years.