Possible power steering cooler fix

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I just pulled the power steering cooler from my boat after discovering it was leaking. It froze up at one point and punctured a hole on the inside. I have a idea that could possibly fix it with minnimal cost.
My idea is find a copper pipe that's very close in diameter to the inside diameter of the power steering cooler without going to big. The copper tube has to be thin walled. Cut the pipe so that a 1/2 inch is sticking out each side and solider the pipe to the power steering cooler. I think that would work. Any thoughts or ways to improve this?

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Possible power steering cooler fix

Go for it ! That's what any radiator shop would do.

Not sure if it works, but I've heard some guys actually JB welding it.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

I'm gonna try it this weekend.
Thought I had a new idea their for a moment but still a way to fix it. I'll post results later with some pics.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm gonna try it this weekend.
Thought I had a new idea their for a moment but still a way to fix it. I'll post results later with some pics.

We'll wait for pics...... we like pics..... :D

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
So yesterday I yanked the power steering cooler out of my boat. What a pain in the @$$ to get to remove. Took me a good 30min to get it out! Plus the hose dumped ATF fluid in the bilge that resembled a strawberry milkshake. LOL. I hooked up my compressor to it and pressure checked it and their was a small pinhole leak. I epoxied it And pressure checked if again and no leak. I clean out all the lines and the pump the best I could. I have to put it back in and I'm not looking forward to that. It's so tight of a spot cause it's next to the engine mount and the manifold is so close to the deck I sometimes get my arm stuck in their. I also don't know how to post new topics with this new update? It keeps sayin need human verification?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Go for it ! That's what any radiator shop would do.

Not sure if it works, but I've heard some guys actually JB welding it.

I wouldn't hesitate to solder it up if you can pressure check it afterwords........ It's in the "return" line to the reservior so there's not a lot of pressure on it anyway. I also added a filter in mine right after the cooler.

Since it's so easy to solder it, I would NOT use JB weld or other epoxy.

Before you re-install it, drill a hole in the bottom of it, solder a brass fitting in so you can install a small ball-valve sort of like this 3/8" NPT example below so you can easily drain the thing.
0137379.jpg

There's hardly any water pressure so you don't need much.

Regards,

Rick