Power Steering Pump Noise - Alpha One Gen 2 3.0L

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1993 manufacture date
Alpha One Gen 2
3.0L

I am fairly certain that I have a bearing/pump issue with my Power Steering pump.

The fluid level was checked per Mercruiser specs on the fluid level with the power steering pump dipstick. It was within specs.

Description of issue:

The noise is not easily discernable during idle/low rpm, but when at 1500 it becomes more audible. So, I believe the noise with the pump is variable to the RPM speed.

To make sure, I put my ear right near the power steering pump and the noise was quite audible. On the opposite side I listened to the altenator and heard nothing, went close to the water pump and heard nothing on the right side of it.

Is there any other hints or helpful info not mentioned in the service manual that helps make 100% certain of a power steering pump issue, that would be appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Steering Pump Noise - Alpha One Gen 2 3.0L

To make sure, I put my ear right near the power steering pump and the noise was quite audible. On the opposite side I listened to the altenator and heard nothing, went close to the water pump and heard nothing on the right side of it.

Is there any other hints or helpful info not mentioned in the service manual that helps make 100% certain of a power steering pump issue, that would be appreciated.

That's a fairly good way to determine if the pump is bad or going "bad". A better way might be to use a "stethoscope"..

You could also look at a sample of fluid and inspect for metal (filter some through a paper towel....and hope you don't have a lot, because it could damage the actuator.)

And, you could also pull the belt and turn it by hand.

I think you have a failing pump. Time to change it.

Regards,

Rick

havoc_squad

Ack, $581 for power steering, how about manual steering? Seems like highway robbery on this one.

Looks like a pump and the pulley puller will be in order shortly.

Is there any sounds or behaviors that indicates a damaged actuator other than what you mentioned? (Besides the obvious of power steering not working).

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a noisy s pump in my car once that was fixed by replacing a $.05 o ring. If they suck air through a bad seal they will often make noise

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ack, $581 for power steering, how about manual steering? Seems like highway robbery on this one.

Looks like a pump and the pulley puller will be in order shortly.

Is there any sounds or behaviors that indicates a damaged actuator other than what you mentioned? (Besides the obvious of power steering not working).

You DO know you don't have to get the marine version of the pump, right ?! I bough mine locally at O'reiley Auto parts for about $40. Swapped over the reservoir in about 2 hours. Bam. Back on the water. No probs since then.

If you don't have a stethoscope (SP?), get 1/2" rubber hose and put one end near the suspected bearing, the other end as close to your ear as you can. Works better than sticking your head next to moving parts..

Last edited:

havoc_squad

Got the stethoscope today, got to find time to run it briefly on the trailer to isolate the noise to verify 100% it is the power steering pump making the noise.

Will probably disconnect the power steering pulley afterwards when it is not running even if it is confirmed to be the power steering pump, then move the outdrive to its stop limits in both directions with the engine running to verify no gimble bearing or outdrive yoke issues.

Gimble bearing and bellows should only be 3 ish years old, lubed every year to verify not running dry. Haven't had any issues with outdrive noise or gimble bearing growl.

Yes, the drive will be lowered as far as possible, and yes it will be running with water supplied.

Can anybody recommend a good belt pulley puller for the power steering pump model I will have to replace with the v belts that is easily obtainable through local parts stores (autozone, orlieys, advanced)?

Last edited:

havoc_squad

Info update, after further investigation I believe I ran into a slow leak introduced into the system due to low pressure hose fitting at the power steering cooler.

While checking the quality of the power steering fluid, I found the level dropped about 1/4 inch from the cold full level at home after running the engine on the muffs listening for the noise I was hearing during a previous test run on the lake for an unrelated matter.

What I didn't recognize was the superficial amount of the oil in the bilge was my power steering fluid, and after a while listening to the power steering pump with a stethoscope and my truck's good power steering pump, there wasn't a single bit of difference. I didn't hear any bearing "singing".

So after that listen test that seemed to indicate the pump wasn't failing yet, I noticed bright red power steering fluid in the bilge.

So I looked and found a drip line back near the transom, checked the actuator, it was bone dry, then traced the low pressure line to the power steering cooler and felt power steering fluid on it.

Replaced the clamp where the fluid felt all around it because it wouldn't tighten up, and cleaned the area.

So far no leaks, and hopefully it was just an issue of sucking up air being slightly low that caused the noise.