1982 Mercruiser trim up/down switch and trailer position switch.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
1982 470 with an MC1 outdrive. Last fall all my bellows were replaced during winterization. Because it needed it and because this was the easiest time to access it the trim limit switch and harness was also replaced. The boat was placed in storage and I lowered the outdrive to keep the new bellows in a straighter position and removed the battery. This spring I installed the battery once again and used the trim switch to raise it until it reached its travel and then the trailer switch to raise it fully to trailer the boat. All was good. The boat is still on the trailer now. Last weekend I bumped the trim switch a couple times while cleaning around the boat. The drive dropped a couple inches in total. To be safe I figured I would just hit the trailer button again and raise it back up. But no go. The only switch that works is trim down. Well I don't want to drop it any further up on the trailer. Are these switches wired so that the drive must be lowered to a certain point before the trailer up switch works once again or do I have a problem?

Dennis

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 Mercruiser trim up/down switch and trailer position switch.

You probably have a bad connection at the blue wire on the trim unit or bad solenoid. My "up" and "trailer" (which is the blue wire on the trim motor) always need to be cleaned up at the connection every year. The "down" (green wire) seems to ALWAYS work. Dunno...??:confused:

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1982 Mercruiser trim up/down switch and trailer position switch.

OK good to know. Thanks for that.
Dennis