drive lube oil fill line

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
How hard is it to change the hose/line that runs from the transom to the drive? I remember when I had it winterized last fall the shop tech told me the line was starting to show some age and crack and I might want to think about changing it. Otherwise want to watch for leaking drive oil or a film on the water indicating it finally broke. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to change this fall if we pull the drive for service than to try and squeeze in there now.

The other question is, if I leave it and keep an eye on it. If it does crack and start to leak a little while its in the water the small positive pressure from the fill tank should keep water out correct, and like he said we would notice a oil film on the water surface.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: drive lube oil fill line

using a line wrench, unscrew both ends but being that I know nothing about what you have it`s only a guess

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

How hard is it to change the hose/line that runs from the transom to the drive? I remember when I had it winterized last fall the shop tech told me the line was starting to show some age and crack and I might want to think about changing it. Otherwise want to watch for leaking drive oil or a film on the water indicating it finally broke. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to change this fall if we pull the drive for service than to try and squeeze in there now.

The other question is, if I leave it and keep an eye on it. If it does crack and start to leak a little while its in the water the small positive pressure from the fill tank should keep water out correct, and like he said we would notice a oil film on the water surface.

The line is a PITA to change and the hard part is getting to the fitting on the inside of the transom. The line goes from the bottle to the inner barbed fitting, this is the line you need to replace. Need to find someone with small hands and tiny fingers to get at it, or you have to pull the engine. The outside of the line is another barbed fitting on both the outer transom side and the gimbal.

There will be next to no pressure because it is not effected by the water pressure. If it starts leaking it will drain into the bilge.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its actually the line on the outer side that they told me needed replaced. I can see it but it didn't look like there was much room to work in. Is it easier if the drive is off?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the easiest way to replace it is the remove the bell housing

it is part of doing a bellows job, it can be done with the drive on and tilted all the way up but MUCH easier with the bell housing off

if it fails you will notice the lube level in the monitor dropping, water pressure will not keep lube in

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know water pressure wouldnt keep the lube in, what i meant was that if the hose does crack and start leaking then oil would leak out and be visible, but water would not (or likely not) leak into the drive because the monitor reservoir being higher would keep some positive pressure on the oil inside the line. If nothing else you would notice the monitor losing oil know to start looking for a leak.

I looked at it again last night, it does look like the outer part of the hose is dry and starting to crack but maybe it will hold on for a season. I can see where you 'could' do it with the drive up, but not the easiest. What is really aggravating is 2 seasons ago we had the bellows done, and its obvious this hose and water intake hose were not replaced. Why not I have no idea, seems foolish to no replace them while you are in there, the shop that did it never even asked about it. I guess that should hint at why we switched marine shops.

alldodge

Staff member

I know water pressure wouldnt keep the lube in, what i meant was that if the hose does crack and start leaking then oil would leak out and be visible, but water would not (or likely not) leak into the drive because the monitor reservoir being higher would keep some positive pressure on the oil inside the line. If nothing else you would notice the monitor losing oil know to start looking for a leak.

I looked at it again last night, it does look like the outer part of the hose is dry and starting to crack but maybe it will hold on for a season. I can see where you 'could' do it with the drive up, but not the easiest. What is really aggravating is 2 seasons ago we had the bellows done, and its obvious this hose and water intake hose were not replaced. Why not I have no idea, seems foolish to no replace them while you are in there, the shop that did it never even asked about it. I guess that should hint at why we switched marine shops.

This stuff happens all the time around here, doing the job as asked but not knowing enough or caring enough to find out why.

Exp: Guy has water leaking in from one of his two seawater pumps. The pumps have fuel mechanical fuel pumps mounted on them. They replace the two pumps but but don't even say anything about the fuel pumps. When I rebuilt his old pumps I asked about it. The guy said nothing was mentioned. Well the fuel was leaking into the sea pump housing is why the seawater pump faild. He has since had both fuel pumps replaced

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's often recommended around here to simply cut the oil hose when removing the bell housing to avoid damaging the fitting by accidently pulling on it. I suppose another reason is it forces you to replace it!

My limited experience is that this hose may look worse than it actually is. They are often cracked and in bad condition, but I haven't actually heard that these same hoses were actually leaking. Remember, this is not under any pressure.

I just re-did mine and it was cracked pretty bad. I then kinked it 90 degrees to inspect it, and there was a thin inner wall that was still sealed. I think the outer rubber dries and cracks before the inner wall.