1988 Mercruiser 3.0 Remote Control

gradythird

Recruit
I recently bought a 1988 Ebko Monte Carlo with Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One. I cannot seem to get the throttle to advance without engaging the prop. There is a button in the center of the throttle pivot that can be depressed (it is not labeled with any instructions). I have tried depressing this button, and it will move about 1/4", but the prop will still engage when the throttle is advanced.

IMG_6755.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Mercruiser 3.0 Remote Control

you need to hold the button in while you push the control. When you done, return control handel to center N and button pops out

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

There is a little ball and pin system in there that disengages the lever that moves the shift cable. Sounds like it is sticking and needs to be lubed.

gradythird

Recruit

There is a little ball and pin system in there that disengages the lever that moves the shift cable. Sounds like it is sticking and needs to be lubed.

Okay. Yeah I'm definitely holding the button in, and it stays in even after I return it to the neutral position, I have to wiggle the control a few times to get it to pop back out. Sounds for sure like it needs some lubrication.

So that's my next question. How does it disassemble and what is used for lube?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

without knowing the exact make generally:
There is a nut or bolt holding the handel on hidden by the button you push in .remove the button, remove the bolt/nut, remove any trim/tilt wiring
the outer cover either has screws or is held in by clips ,remove outer cover
should find 3 or 4 phillips head bolts, these hold the control box to the plywood

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

similar to this setup
Untitled3_zps2a220f68.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

And the button simply pries off - carefully. BUT - it will only come off when the throttle only function is engaged. In other words, push the button in, move the handle forward, then you can pry the button off.

gradythird

Recruit

Fixed it. Very odd, but the plastic shaft on the button was too short to reach the mechanism. I put a #6 panhead screw in the end of it to add a couple mm of length and it works like a champ. Pops right back out too, no problem.

Thanks for the help.