OK - I feel like an Idiot - Quicksilver Assembly

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 vintage Quicksilver flush mount side control. I have reassembled the throttle lever but it will NOT stay tight with the set screw. It wobbles all over the place and you have to push it back in with your left hand.

What am I doing wrong? It didn't come OFF like that.....??

Thanks for any help.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: OK - I feel like an Idiot - Quicksilver Assembly

That handle is aluminum ( I think) pretty easy to strip. Might need to drill and tap for next larger set screw.

alldodge

Staff member

I have a 1987 vintage Quicksilver flush mount side control. I have reassembled the throttle lever but it will NOT stay tight with the set screw. It wobbles all over the place and you have to push it back in with your left hand.

What am I doing wrong? It didn't come OFF like that.....??

Thanks for any help.

Without numbers or a pic I would have trouble finding which you have and what the problems could be. Have a look here and see if you can find your control

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=4200091A

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Terry,

Is the set screw just "friction" or are there threads somewhere on the control itself? Maybe I am just misaligned.

Another question: Which newer model control will still fit my cables? I know they changed sometime in the 90s.

Thanks guys.

Walt T

Lieutenant

It is better to feel like an idiot than to look like one

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Terry,

Is the set screw just "friction" or are there threads somewhere on the control itself? Maybe I am just misaligned.

Another question: Which newer model control will still fit my cables? I know they changed sometime in the 90s.

Thanks guys.

On any of the controls I have disassembled and worked on, the set screw is indeed just for friction control. There should be a bolt holding the end of the handle onto the shaft. Usually accessed by removing the "throttle only" button. (On on my Quicksilver control, that button can only be removed when the throttle only button is engaged).

Last edited:

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kinda, Terry, but mine is flush.

I have a chance to get a slightly newer style with the round TO button. But, it doesn't have a "trailer" button. How would that affect the trim limiter on the outdrive? I'm not familiar with this style.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah mine is flush too, the case is behind the plate. On the newer control the "up" might have a detent, where you push in for trim up, and push harder past the detent for trailer. but I am not sure, you will have to check that out.