7.4 liter intake manifold

cmarkham416

Recruit
I have a 7.4 liter and im trying to get the intake manifold off. I removed the risers and manifolds, as well as the intake manifold bolts and I still cant get it to budge. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 7.4 liter intake manifold

I have a 7.4 liter and im trying to get the intake manifold off. I removed the risers and manifolds, as well as the intake manifold bolts and I still cant get it to budge. Any suggestions?

:welcome: to iboats

If you have all 16 bolts out it's probably just stuck. Many use an adhesive and can be quite stubborn. Do you have a cast aluminum or iron intake?

tpenfield

Staff member

Distributor off?

even then, they usually need a bit of persuasion

cmarkham416

Recruit

:welcome: to iboats

If you have all 16 bolts out it's probably just stuck. Many use an adhesive and can be quite stubborn. Do you have a cast aluminum or iron intake?

I have an iron intake.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Once the distributor is out, take a putty knife or big exacto and slice through the RTV seal on the fore and aft areas of the manifold. I know it's tempting, but don't wedge a screwdriver in there and pry on it. You can damage the sealing surfaces. The carb or TB and all cables must be disconnected as well.

alldodge

Staff member

I have an iron intake.

With it being iron you shouldn't have to worry to much about breaking it. As Volphin mentioned you want to take care not to damage to sealing surfaces but there is usually edges which can be used to pry. The issue is don't drive a screw driver under the surface, I've used them on the corners and with iron you can do a little prying, but don't go hulk on it

cmarkham416

Recruit

Once the distributor is out, take a putty knife or big exacto and slice through the RTV seal on the fore and aft areas of the manifold. I know it's tempting, but don't wedge a screwdriver in there and pry on it. You can damage the sealing surfaces. The carb or TB and all cables must be disconnected as well.

Thanks everyone