What the Y pipe is going on?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ever have one of those days when you see something isn't right when your putting it back together? Yeah here's one of those...

Factory match, :confused: don't think I like it when it comes to sealing anything up with 3 bolts when you see 4 holes.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: What the Y pipe is going on?

Yep, that's how its done now, you rotted your Y pipe and that's the new replacement. guessing from the late 80`s ish.

Watermann

Yeap 1988... that is correct.

Watermann

So would it help out with the install sealing up to add some non-hardening gasket maker to the flange?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No , the standard merc product or some Perma-Tex aviation sealant is all it needs. Doing that same job in about a week. But in my case one of the SS bolts was seized and broke the head off. Had to remove the transom housing to get the broken piece out.

Watermann

Thanks for the info Doc! Had that happen to me on a 2.5 L, the bolt head snapped off, not a fun job at all. Would using some anti-seize compound be a good idea then on these bolts or would that mess up the torque reading?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you really don't what them to start loosening up with anti-sieze

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use an impact gun. Thought I was going to break mine as well, then I got the impact gun and within a few back and fourths they came right out

Watermann

Thanks for the reply and the rock solid info! I wish the search feature was easier to find posts like this in the forum. I give up after a couple pages of non-related info.

Almost forgot to ask, did you used any sealant besides the O ring?

Last edited: