Which Mercruiser outdrive do i have??

bad71chevy

Recruit
I have a 1989 wellcraft 17' with mercruiser 2.5. The serial number on the outdrive is 0c697904. I need to know if its gen1 or gen2. The upper gears stripped in it and im trying to figure out which gear set to order. Any help is greatly appreciated.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Which Mercruiser outdrive do i have??

You may want to gather some info on replacing the upper gear set, as I understand with out proper tools and experience the chances of success are slim to none. I have read many recommendations that say if the upper gears are bad to replace the upper drive unit and not try to replace the gear set yourself. Just passing along what I have read..

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I have a 1989 wellcraft 17' with mercruiser 2.5. The serial number on the outdrive is 0c697904. I need to know if its gen1 or gen2. The upper gears stripped in it and im trying to figure out which gear set to order. Any help is greatly appreciated.

you will need the proper oem manual and special tools in order to shim the gears properly, not to mention the housing may be damaged internally making rebuild impossible

you would be better off replacing the entire upper driveshaft housing assy

MikDee

Banned

Yes, there must be a certain preload (drag) on the gears (not really for amateurs).

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

General belief is that if you've stripped your upper gears, the metal (shavings/filings/dust) has migrated to the lower and it wont be long before you are replacing that, too. I'd recommend a total SEI drive.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Yes, there must be a certain preload (drag) on the gears (not really for amateurs).

the preload is on the bearings, gears require the proper lash (spacing between the teeth)

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

I rebuilt mine and had well over what a sei replacement would have cost. But i like the hobby and like a good excuse to buy new tools And there are many needed and there not cheap if you want to be successful. So do your research iits not as easy as you would think!!