New engine with new shift cable now engine cuts off only shifting in reverse

benzboi344

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1996 2050 Bayliner with a repowered brand new 5.7 vortec. I installed new shift cable, bellows and gimble bearing now I cant shift to reverse without my engine cutting off. Before the new engine and shift cable it never done this. Shifting forward is perfect and it shifts out of neutral perfect but the only problem is shifting to reverse. Why is this happening ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: New engine with new shift cable now engine cuts off only shifting in reverse

sounds like its pulling the cable in a bit too far and tripping the shift interrupter switch or your install work has a problem.
do you have the merc manual?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New engine with new shift cable now engine cuts off only shifting in reverse

Take 15 minutes and watch Chris's youtube video (watch it twice because there is a lot of info in there) on how to properly adjust the two shift cables. then take your smart phone out with you and do the adjustment, pause it when need be.

benzboi344

Cadet

sounds like its pulling the cable in a bit too far and tripping the shift interrupter switch or your install work has a problem.
do you have the merc manual?
The install was pretty simple along with the routing of the shift cable. I didn't experience any forceful install problems so I guess that's the reason Im puzzled. The first cable did need replacing but I replaced it not wanting to do any rework. I do know that the adjustment is a little over 6 inches and I cant seem to get it at 6 inches. This is more frustrating than an engine install. If I shift from reverse back to neutral fast then it wont cut off but if I leave it in reverse then it dies completely.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Why is it difficult to get this measurement, barrel should be able to spin that much.
UntitledS1_zpsebeff4c4.jpg

benzboi344

Cadet

Why is it difficult to get this measurement, barrel should be able to spin that much.
UntitledS1_zpsebeff4c4.jpg
I measured this exactly 6inches but when I put the cable onto the bracket it doesn't stay at 6 inches because I have to extend it out so that it goes on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No, you start with the 6 inch setting in fwd gear, attached to the shift plate, then with the control box in fwd adjust the control box cable end to fit
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf
2A-19 thru 2A-22

Last edited:

benzboi344

Cadet

Wow I was doing this all wrong. It's a wonder that I was even able to shift smoothly without grinding or getting stuck in gear. My adjustments were way off on both to and bottom cables. I won't have chance to run the engine and check it yet but this just feels like I'm doing it right. Thanks a lot. I'll post back the results later. Thanks again.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure you spin prop counter clockwise to lock it in forward as well. Watch Chris' video. The uppershift cable needs to be set properly as well