1987 Mercruiser Oil Leak Issue

MandyLynn76

Recruit
Hey All
I purchased a 1987 Celebrity Calias last Saturday. Guy seemed above the board- had all paperwork from the last 10 years on the boat. The boat itsself is in pretty great condition.
Took it out immediately that evening, the boat ran very good. No issues.
Took it out on Lake Conroe, here in Texas yesterday, ran fine for about 45 mins, when all of a sudden the boat had an awful smell, sputtering- we shut it down to see oil coming out of the backside of the engine.
This is the mercury 165, 1987, engine that is the ford top half from what I understand now after speaking to people, and a real pain in the tookus.
Long story short is- we had to drift to a dock out there, had some people help us out (love boating people), wrestled it to the launch in the middle of a storm and got the sucker home. We put some more oil in to find the leak, the engine fires right up and sounds great but-
It is leaking, and copiously, from behind the oil pan.

Took it to a local repair shop that we trust- they have worked on older boats of ours in the past- and they will not work on it due to the type of engine it is. I called a few other places, and I dont want to say its because I am a lady calling around- but I get that sense- and I am getting all sorts of answers. From pull the engine, to its scrap and get rid of it- all sorts of answers.

I figured I would come here and see if anyone could offer any insight over the weekend as to what I can call around and say when I call people on Monday. I paid 3500 for the boat, the boat its self is in great condition, I would like to get it fixed and see it running.

Any insight?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1987 Mercruiser Oil Leak Issue

Hello and :welcome: to iboats... and welcome to the '470' club... We have many member with these engine, and you'll have all the help you could want.

Unfortunately these engines are getting quite old (the last one was built in 1989) and there are a lot of shops who refuse to work on them, but, you found the right place.

The problem could be as simple as a leaking sump gasket, or the sump itself may be corroded and have a hole in it. Either way, it's no reason to scrap the engine. Just find a shop who will remove the engine, that's all. After that, you just take it to any normal auto shop for the repair... Assuming you don't have the facilities to pull the engine yourself. Replacing the gasket is easy. If it is a rusty hole, then you have the option of a new pan, or repairing the old one. Either way, get the pan hot-dip galvanised before it goes back on... ;)

Chris........

alldodge

Staff member

Hey All
I purchased a 1987 Celebrity Calias last Saturday. Guy seemed above the board- had all paperwork from the last 10 years on the boat. The boat itsself is in pretty great condition.
Took it out immediately that evening, the boat ran very good. No issues.
Took it out on Lake Conroe, here in Texas yesterday, ran fine for about 45 mins, when all of a sudden the boat had an awful smell, sputtering- we shut it down to see oil coming out of the backside of the engine.
This is the mercury 165, 1987, engine that is the ford top half from what I understand now after speaking to people, and a real pain in the tookus.
Long story short is- we had to drift to a dock out there, had some people help us out (love boating people), wrestled it to the launch in the middle of a storm and got the sucker home. We put some more oil in to find the leak, the engine fires right up and sounds great but-
It is leaking, and copiously, from behind the oil pan.

Took it to a local repair shop that we trust- they have worked on older boats of ours in the past- and they will not work on it due to the type of engine it is. I called a few other places, and I dont want to say its because I am a lady calling around- but I get that sense- and I am getting all sorts of answers. From pull the engine, to its scrap and get rid of it- all sorts of answers.

I figured I would come here and see if anyone could offer any insight over the weekend as to what I can call around and say when I call people on Monday. I paid 3500 for the boat, the boat its self is in great condition, I would like to get it fixed and see it running.

Any insight?

:welcome: to iboats Mandy

Sorry to hear the news. If your sure the oil is coming from the back of the engine, behind the bell housing, I would guess it's either the cam plug. I would guess if it is then your oil pressure is real low.

If your not real sure of the location use a camera on your phone to take pics where your head won't fit, as Bondo would say. If it is diffently behind the engine and between the bell housing, the engine has to come out.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ah, could also be the rear main seal.... In any case, once the engine is out, just get a normal (trusted) auto shop to do the repair work.

alldodge

Staff member

Could be, just have never seen a rear seal blow out, but could be

MandyLynn76

Recruit

Hi All
So, the gent who sold me the boat, I called him to ask some general questions about the boat, the last time it was worked on, etc. I let him know what happened, and it is great to know that there are still very honorable people in this world. He wants to give me back 1000 of my money, and gave me the number of someone who he thinks can help.
I am going to give him a call on Monday to see what we can work out.
I believe the boat is worth saving, the boat its self is in pretty awesome condition, like driving a classic car, is what I figure. So long as we can get this issue fixed, I think it will be a good thing to run around in for a few years.

Today is mothers day and I have a roller derby bout to play in, so tomorrow I am going to snap some pics and post and see what you all think so I can come at the mechanic with some armor on my side.
Thanks a heap, you all are most informative.
Mandy

alldodge

Staff member

Sounds great, look forward to the pics