how to adjust shift cable for morse remote control

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so my (boat dies when i shift) saga continues. I think im squared away with lower shift cable. I belive that to be a merc part. How my throttle and my upper shift cable is a universal type. The controls is a morse incom brand/model. When i go wot reverse the shift interupt switch is in the activated position. I have tried making adjustment using the instructions in chris youtube video with no luck. I have a suspicion that perhaps i need adjust the end closest to the controls. Can someone confirm? Also if so where should that position be? Should i just put it in the middle at that end?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to adjust shift cable for morse remote control

CAM00275.jpg
Here is puc of under side panel rc

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

1399233966394.jpg

here is the other end of cable

Do you ever engage WOT in reverse? just curious? :D

With my control... a Merctrol, the shift cable (upper one from the control to the shift plate on the engine) moves before the throtle cable does (at the carb)... by looking at both cable ends at the engine. Once the shift cable moves to forward or reverse gear, then by moving the control further then the throttle responds. The shift cable does not move any more.

What happens with yours? Does your shift cable ever stop moving. It should be finished before the throttle cable starts to move.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ok so my (boat dies when i shift) saga continues. I think im squared away with lower shift cable. I belive that to be a merc part. How my throttle and my upper shift cable is a universal type. The controls is a morse incom brand/model. When i go wot reverse the shift interupt switch is in the activated position. I have tried making adjustment using the instructions in chris youtube video with no luck. I have a suspicion that perhaps i need adjust the end closest to the controls. Can someone confirm? Also if so where should that position be? Should i just put it in the middle at that end?

When you select reverse (or forward) it's best to do it with someone turning the prop in the opposite direction to what you are selecting. Obviously that's without the engine running! :eek: The reason is that if you shift when the high parts of the dog clutch are touching each other, then they will not engage properly, that will trip the interrupt switch.

Any adjustment to the remote control cable also need to be done at the shift plate end....

Chris...

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you select reverse (or forward) it's best to do it with someone turning the prop in the opposite direction to what you are selecting. Obviously that's without the engine running! :eek: The reason is that if you shift when the high parts of the dog clutch are touching each other, then they will not engage properly, that will trip the interrupt switch.

Any adjustment to the remote control cable also need to be done at the shift plate end....

Chris...

Good point. When I perform the adjustment for forward gear I turned the proper counter clockwise but I don't believe I did that when testing reverse. I'll try that and see what happens.

After aligning everything in forward gear should I still spin the adjuster 4 turns as in the video for the mercruiser cable?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yes