late model 3.0 to an early model mount.. Please help...

bayslayer

Cadet
Hello all, I am looking for a little help. First off a little history on my project. I picked up a 71 24' glasply with twin 3.0's. Both engines ended up being locked up, I contacted a boat shop by my work and the guy said that he had two 1999 3.0's that needed to be rebuilt that I could have for $600. I asked him if they would fit in place of the old engines and he said all I had to do was put the original bell housings on the engines and they would go right in. He was wrong. Well after having both engines rebuilt I went to put the fly wheel on and it doesn't fit. I have no clue what to do next. I hope I don't have to purchase newer out drives and mounts as I am working on a budget that's almost gone. If any one has any ideas on how I can make this work I would really really appreciate it.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: late model 3.0 to an early model mount.. Please help...

not sure you have much choice, old flywheels dont fit on new cranks

old flywheel covers don't fit over new flywheels

only choice is to upgrade transom assy's

my main question is why didn't you just rebuild the original engines??

bayslayer

Cadet

The old engines were done. All cylinders were filled with water. Everything was ruined. Plus they were already bored 40 over.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

The old engines were done. All cylinders were filled with water. Everything was ruined. Plus they were already bored 40 over.

gotcha, quite the pickle you got there

start looking for donor boats same vintage of your engines, cracked blocks with good drives n transom assy's

Bondo

Staff member

Hello all, I am looking for a little help. First off a little history on my project. I picked up a 71 24' glasply with twin 3.0's. Both engines ended up being locked up, I contacted a boat shop by my work and the guy said that he had two 1999 3.0's that needed to be rebuilt that I could have for $600. I asked him if they would fit in place of the old engines and he said all I had to do was put the original bell housings on the engines and they would go right in. He was wrong. Well after having both engines rebuilt I went to put the fly wheel on and it doesn't fit. I have no clue what to do next. I hope I don't have to purchase newer out drives and mounts as I am working on a budget that's almost gone. If any one has any ideas on how I can make this work I would really really appreciate it.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Are yer flywheels the 12", or 14" wheels,..??

Are the new blocks drilled, 'n tapped with 1 or both starter patterns,.??

There are retro-fit couplers available, right here at iboats, for the swap,...

You Will need to buy new flywheels to match the crankshaft bolt pattern, just match the diameter of the old ones, provided the block is drilled for that starter pattern,...

bayslayer

Cadet

Will the newer inside transom bracket bolt to the old outdrive? I looked on ebay and the brackets are fairly cheap. If they fit that would be an easy fix.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Will the newer inside transom bracket bolt to the old outdrive? I looked on ebay and the brackets are fairly cheap. If they fit that would be an easy fix.

No.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

he said all I had to do was put the original bell housings on the engines and they would go right in.
yes, but he should have added that you will also need the proper couplers, and flywheels
Here's the flywheel that cures your clearance problem:
Flywheel 12-3/4 Diameter - 3.0L Models
12_30L_lg0001_209_190.gif

That flywheel will bolt up to the 1999 engines, but will fit in your old 1970's covers.
Then you will also need 1990-present couplers.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

yes, but he should have added that you will also need the proper couplers, and flywheels
Here's the flywheel that cures your clearance problem:
Flywheel 12-3/4 Diameter - 3.0L Models
12_30L_lg0001_209_190.gif

That flywheel will bolt up to the 1999 engines, but will fit in your old 1970's covers.
Then you will also need 1990-present couplers.

Ayuh,.... Not doubtin' ya Howard, But,....

Ain't he gonna need the little crank mounted conversion coupler to fit inside his old covers,..??

I know there's an aftermarket conversion coupler, Old style, New crank bolt pattern out there,....

iboats oughta have 'em,.... ones I've seen were Sierra,...

Or maybe that's what yer sayin',....1990 to present bolt pattern, old style coupler,..??

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

good point... I guess that's the ticket there- need a "bulb" shape coupler with the smaller bolt pattern for 1 pc rear main seal engine, no "triangular coupler" (the bandaid flywheel doesn't seem to have the threaded holes for those either)

achris

And once the coupler's changed, what about the drive yoke? Is that going to need to be changed to the longer one????

Chris......

dubs283

Vice Admiral

And once the coupler's changed, what about the drive yoke? Is that going to need to be changed to the longer one?

thats what im wondering too

didn't realize there were retro-kits available either!!

achris

Changing engines and transom assemblies across 1982 is a nightmare in the making. With all the differences, it's better to just stay with what you have, or change EVERYTHING.... NOTHING south of the rear of the engine block is compatible. Gimbal housing it different, inner transom plate is very different, flywheel housing is different. Most of the time the flywheel itself is different (and that's more to do with 1 and 2 piece rear main seal design and the crankshaft). And the couplers are obviously different.... And with the in-line engines, even the drive yoke length is different....

Many of us have already tried to travel this road... Too many detours and hidden dips for it to be pleasant or successful....

Chris.....

Last edited:

bayslayer

Cadet

It is looking like I should scrap the project and sell my rebuilt engines to re coop my money. This does not sound like its going to be easy.

Bondo

Staff member

It is looking like I should scrap the project and sell my rebuilt engines to re coop my money. This does not sound like its going to be easy.

Naw,.... All ya need is the flywheel Howard posted, 'n the Sierra # 18-2172 Coupler,....

Then it'll drop right in, 'n marry up to yer drives, usin' the old flywheel covers,....

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

btw - what do you mean with you "rebuild" a pair of 1999 3.0 engines ? i do not think you talk a full rebuild with cylinderhoning , pistons, rings, bearings, valvejob etc etc. or do you ?

everybody has to decide for himself but in germany you would invest many many thousands $ only for parts on a full rebuild of two engines, not to talk the work which has to be done. and even then , even when everything fits, you end up with a +40 years hull and +40 years drives, transoms etc. it does not make much economic sense for me on a 71 glass fibre boat so i,m wondering.

whatever - hopefully it works finally !

achris

btw - what do you mean with you "rebuild" a pair of 1999 3.0 engines ? i do not think you talk a full rebuild with cylinderhoning , pistons, rings, bearings, valvejob etc etc. or do you ?

everybody has to decide for himself but in germany you would invest many many thousands $ only for parts on a full rebuild of two engines, not to talk the work which has to be done. and even then , even when everything fits, you end up with a +40 years hull and +40 years drives, transoms etc. it does not make much economic sense for me on a 71 glass fibre boat so i,m wondering.

whatever - hopefully it works finally !

Rebuilding engines in the US is so cheap... :facepalm: They can actually buy a complete new long-block for less than it would cost me to freight it to Australia. :mad:

They crack a block from not winterising properly, just go down the local knackers yard (car knackers yard that is) and they can buy a COMPLETE engine for like $600...

Chris....

bayslayer

Cadet

Yes, I did a complete rebuild on both engines. Purchased kits had the machine work done and I assembled the engines. Saves a bit when you do the assembly yourself . The 1999 transom plate fits the pre alpha outdrive with elongating two bolt holes.My current problem is that the exhaust hits the transom plate at the engine mount so I guess its time to get creative.