Mercruiser 165 Misfire-Stall in forward

Cheesedog

Cadet
Hello fellow boaters

I've been reading some posts found some similar problems but mines slightly different.

Motor Idles fine, but when I'm in forward gear and give throttle the motor misfires or back fires (i hear pops), sputters and wants to stall but if I the back throttle off its fine.

I have also noticed that it is hesitant to start moving if i throw the throttle forward. I have new spark plugs to put in it but I think the problem is more then just plugs...cap, carb, coil,???? any ideas

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 165 Misfire-Stall in forward

Hello fellow boaters

I've been reading some posts found some similar problems but mines slightly different.

Motor Idles fine, but when I'm in forward gear and give throttle the motor misfires or back fires (i hear pops), sputters and wants to stall but if I the back throttle off its fine.

I have also noticed that it is hesitant to start moving if i throw the throttle forward. I have new spark plugs to put in it but I think the problem is more then just plugs...cap, carb, coil,???? any ideas

Plugs, cap, roter and all gas filters should be replaced every year just as preventative maintenance. Check the connections that lead to the coil to see if they need cleaning first. Coils usually last a while. When was the last time you changed your plug wires? or changed your fuel or carb filter if so equipped? Is the gas old? Did you stabilize it in the fall? The carb might need a rebuild but it sounds like you're not getting enough fuel to the engine. replace the plugs, cap, roter and all gas filters first then make sure you have good gas, Then look at the plug wires, then the carb then the coil.

Cheesedog

Cadet

I received the boat off my uncle last summer, The fuel was stabilized in the fall when boat was winterized. I will do plugs, cap and rotor and go from there. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

I received the boat off my uncle last summer, The fuel was stabilized in the fall when boat was winterized. I will do plugs, cap and rotor and go from there. Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds more like a Fuel/ Carb issue to Me,.....

It's runnin' Lean,.... That's the sneezin', 'n backfirin',...

MikDee

Banned

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds more like a Fuel/ Carb issue to Me,.....

It's runnin' Lean,.... That's the sneezin', 'n backfirin',...

Sounds like it could be a lean sneeze to me also, but I'd say next check the timing as well (retarded timing will do this also).

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

165's. Did they make these with rotors ? Possibly points/condenser setup ?
Switching to a Pertronix unit will definitely help also. I know it did on mine.