Need to change riser with manifold?

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am planning to replace the port side exhaust manifold on my '93 4.3LX due to a small crack that I noticed last season. I had no issues with it last year, which was my first year with the boat. I assume that the crack is due to improper winterization by previous owner. The oil was clear when I winterized it last fall.

My question is: will I need to change the riser along with the manifold? This will double my expense, and although I am very familiar with the BOAT acronym my wife would be a lot happier if I can keep the cost down (I don't think she cares for my boat...!).

Thanks!

Attachments

• monifold.jpg
    monifold.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need to change riser with manifold?

hello,

i am planning to replace the port side exhaust manifold on my '93 4.3lx due to a small crack that i noticed last season. I had no issues with it last year, which was my first year with the boat. I assume that the crack is due to improper winterization by previous owner. The oil was clear when i winterized it last fall.

My question is: Will i need to change the riser along with the manifold? This will double my expense, and although i am very familiar with the boat acronym my wife would be a lot happier if i can keep the cost down (i don't think she cares for my boat...!).

Thanks!
Do replace the gasket between the manifold and riser

noooooooooooooooooo!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Also manifolds as with risers should always be replaced in pairs (so the engine continues to get cooled evenly) meaning you should replace the other manifold and gaskets but can leave the risers alone assuming you inspect them and they are clean and the walls that separate the water from the exhaust aren't rotted out. Keep in mind if the manifolds and risers are original to the engine they are 10 years old and should be replaced anyway as the average life expectancy of both is roughly 5 years. If you wait until they let go on their own... water will go into your engine and you will end up with pretty severe internal damage.

Bondo

Staff member

Hello,

I am planning to replace the port side exhaust manifold on my '93 4.3LX due to a small crack that I noticed last season. I had no issues with it last year, which was my first year with the boat. I assume that the crack is due to improper winterization by previous owner. The oil was clear when I winterized it last fall.

My question is: will I need to change the riser along with the manifold? This will double my expense, and although I am very familiar with the BOAT acronym my wife would be a lot happier if I can keep the cost down (I don't think she cares for my boat...!).

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Ya gotta take it Off, Clean it, Then evaluate whether it's got life in it, or it's an anchor,...

If it ain't rotted out,... Sure, Reuse it,...

Use the Merc carbon metallic gaskets for 'em,... Well worth it, 'n Miles ahead of the green paper ones,...

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would I be able to withhold changing the other manifold if it is not cracked until a later date? Or is it critical to replace the manifolds on both sides at the same time?

Also, are aftermarket manifolds OK to use of do I need genuine Merc parts?

xadiohead

Seaman Apprentice

Would I be able to withhold changing the other manifold if it is not cracked until a later date? Or is it critical to replace the manifolds on both sides at the same time?

Also, are aftermarket manifolds OK to use of do I need genuine Merc parts?

If they are both old, then it is definitely advised to replace them both together but I don't think it is "critical". You can usually get a better deal in pairs though.

Aftermarket is fine, just do not buy the cheap GLM brand. I don't have experience with them, but read a lot of bad things about them. I went with Sierra off of ebay recently and they seem good.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the reason for changing is not age related, you are fine to change just one side. Same goes with the elbow (you are calling 'riser') as long as it's in good enough condition to continue service, by all means reuse it... As already said, use new OEM gaskets....

As far as the best brands... I use this list.
1. OEM
2. OEM
3. OEM
8. Barrs or Osco

49. Sierra
1283. GLM

HTH.

Chris.....

Last edited:

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about Teleflex manifold? I found "Teleflex Marine 18-1952-1 Manifold" online that appears to be a good price.

Bondo

Staff member

How about Teleflex manifold? I found "Teleflex Marine 18-1952-1 Manifold" online that appears to be a good price.

Ayuh,.... Never heard of such,....

Teleflex is known for helms, controls, 'n cables,....

The part number looks Sierra,...
Which should be available, Right here at iboats,.....

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So... I should NOT use the gaskets that are supplied with the Sierra manifolds? I'm having a hard time finding anything other than Sierra out there.

Bondo

Staff member

So... I should NOT use the gaskets that are supplied with the Sierra manifolds? I'm having a hard time finding anything other than Sierra out there.

Ayuh,.... I don't like the green paper gaskets,....

I like the carbon metallic Mercruiser gaskets, on Dry, from a Mercruiser Dealer myself,...

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

As Bondo mentioned you can get the gaskets from any mercruiser dealer. The difference between OEM (mercruiser) and other brands is that the casting is of a higher quality and also the thickness of the walls between the exhaust and the water jacket are thicker. Both will lead to longer life and safer to use for the engine. (less chance of cracking, leaking etc.) If it is a matter of strict economics then buy what you have to... just know that in most cases going with OEM parts is the best way to go. They are engineered to a higher standard, better quality and will provide you with a longer and safer time out on the water.

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check for gaskets at a local dealer. I will probably end up going with Sierra for the manifold. Thanks.