boat stalls when put in gear after running fine

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm currently adrift. Boat runs fine for a while until i stop. Then when i put in gear (forward or reverse) it stalls and wont start back up. After about an hour it starts back up fine. Ive already adjusted lower shift cable and timing.

Any ideas? Also any way ro get it to restart sooner?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: boat stalls when put in gear after running fine

sounds like the shift interrupt switch is engaging improperly

did you recently install a new shift cable, or just adjust it??

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Adjusted lower shift cable this morning to six inches. Just bought boat used. Havent replaced cable. Can i bypass switch somehow in order to get it started?

thumpar

Admiral

Tell us what you have. Some are normally open and some are normally closed.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercruiser 230 hp brovo one. Thunderbolt iv. 1986. 305 cu in

thumpar

Admiral

Bravos don't have a shift interrupt.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Apologies, alpha one

dubs283

Vice Admiral

normally open, closed when shifting out of gear into neutral

you can disconnect it and the ignition should work, however you will not be able to easily get the drive out of gear into neutral unless you shut the engine off

the main cause of the issue you are experiencing is a worn/binding shift cable which need replacing

what was the cause for you to adjust the cable in the first place??

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

This same issue. Guy beforeme fiddled with it

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do i disconnect (just to test)

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Picturesque

Attachments

• 1399233966394.jpg
    1399233966394.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so got towed back to dock, friendly fellow boater tried and got it started. He did some major pumping really fast and continuously. He said that it sounded like a fuel problem. Is this just a case where I need a carb rebuild? Someone told me that my carb might be "leaking".

thumpar

Admiral

Do you have any fuel in the site tube? Could be a lot of things.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tube wasnt very clear so i couldnt tell. It smelled like fuel whem i took the flame arrester off. I read somewhere that is a goid inducation of bad carb. Should i slap a new/rebuilt one onit? Do they have to be adjusted to the specific boat?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also when this problem occurs starting fluid does not help

Rotorpilot1969

Seaman Apprentice

The tube wasnt very clear so i couldnt tell. It smelled like fuel whem i took the flame arrester off. I read somewhere that is a goid inducation of bad carb. Should i slap a new/rebuilt one onit? Do they have to be adjusted to the specific boat?

Man a reman carb probably cost $350-500 bucks! You act as if the boat runs good until you need to shift. If your boat has a shifter out of sync and a interrupt switch I believe that would impede the fuel flow, not saying it has a electric fuel pump but the motor isn't firing and thus not allowing the need for fuel.
Adjusting the cable you really need to watch a YouTube video on exactly how to do this and maybe read a few articles. It isn't as simple as measuring 6 inches. The prop needs to be locked with force in forward gear and repeat in reverse while applying forward and aft force on the cable.

Best of luck

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found shinny reman carb on ebay for $250. Looks like they do a lot of carb rebuilds. Would gladly pay that it if would fix problem. If it's cable adjustment why does it initially shift into forward? Only seems to die after I've been running it for a while and then come to complete stop and try to shift into forward or reverse. Also why does it start back up no problem after letting it sit for a while?

I will heed your advice and try the adjustment again as I got lazy and didn't lock the prop. Problem is every time I test this thing I have to take it to the lake and run the risk of getting stranded. Thing again I've read two conflicting statements. Some people say reverse can be tested on muffs and some people say that it can't.

This boat is a craigslist special, hell what's the chances this carb is in good condition?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

based on the information provided in your first post you described the classic symptom of a binding/worn shift cable, a common issue on alpha set-ups

no where did you mention anything about fuel or inspecting the fuel system, it was suggested to you by a fellow boater you may have a carb issue

yes, a "bad" carb can leak fuel into the intake upon shut-down of a warm engine, but have you verified that had happened?? have you tried clearing a flooded engine to start when you are experienceing this issue??

we can only give you advice based on information you provide us, there could be any number of items causing your issue and you posting questions based on speculation gets you (and us) nowhere

did you read the link i provided?? did you inspect/bypass the interrupt switch and test??

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class

based on the information provided in your first post you described the classic symptom of a binding/worn shift cable, a common issue on alpha set-ups

no where did you mention anything about fuel or inspecting the fuel system, it was suggested to you by a fellow boater you may have a carb issue

yes, a "bad" carb can leak fuel into the intake upon shut-down of a warm engine, but have you verified that had happened?? have you tried clearing a flooded engine to start when you are experienceing this issue??

we can only give you advice based on information you provide us, there could be any number of items causing your issue and you posting questions based on speculation gets you (and us) nowhere

did you read the link i provided?? did you inspect/bypass the interrupt switch and test??

I hope you'll cut me a break for not knowing very much about this stuff. This is my first boat, I wish I had the money to take it in to someone that knows boat but I don't so I'm trying to fix her myself. I have not tried clearing the flooded engine but I would if I knew how. Car to share (surprisingly google is letting me down in this area)?

Other then that I can only speculate as to the reasons I am speculating so much...lol

Sorry my phone battery died before I got your post on how to disconnect it. I did read that link and went back and re-read it. Should I be able to test forward and reverse successfully on muffs? Everything I've read on this subject has been convoluted.