mercruiser 470 owners , a few questions if you dont mind.

Erie88renken

Cadet
Boat: 1988 Renken classic, 3.7 mercruiser. alpha one out drive. ( has real alternator)
SAM_0309.jpg

what is this wire to/ for/go ?
It is on the exchanger side of the engine coming from the wiring harness with the rest of the wires. Its all black, no stripe.
Im guessing a ground wire but im not sure where to. I know it is grounded. Please help. I have already ordered a manual just waiting for it to arrive.
SAM_0310.jpg
This is the only spot I see that is missing a wire. I dont want to ground something that should not be grounded and fry it.
I dont know what this is? SAM_0310.jpgSAM_0315.jpg

This looks crazy to me. Thoughts? Was something replaced/upgraded and this is the bypass of old?

SAM_0312.jpg

and I have no idea what this is.under the rotor cap....please explain.

thanks a million. back to rewiring the gauges while i pray someone responds. manual 5 days away.

Attachments

• SAM_0313.jpg
    SAM_0313.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: mercruiser 470 owners , a few questions if you dont mind.

the ground wire is just that, a ground for a component, maybe used on a different set-up engine, looks like the other photos have an aftermarket voltage regulator, perhaps the ground was for the original one - maybe verify with an ohmeter that it is connected to ground

the rapair aftermarket voltage regulator is useless if there is an alternator upgrade

those are the ignition components under the dist cap - rotor, points and condenser - pretty basic stuff

Erie88renken

Cadet

Thank you. The wire is grounded so I guess Ill just ground to the block.

I didnt understand that myself. I assume it an aftermarket alternator. Ill take a pic and post in a min. I guess thats why it seems messed up to me. Its a not needed part? the regulator?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if the wire is gounded just tie it off, no need to attach it to the block

mercruiser makes an alternator upgrade for the 470, so it may not be aftermarket - are any of the wires from the alternator going to the regulator??

Erie88renken

Cadet

Ok, has the alternator upgrade for sure. Going to go read posts on how a points type ign works...new to me.