Mercruiser R pre-alpha bellows gimbal tools

NWVintage

Seaman
Hey everyone-

1978 MerCruiser 470 (I know, but I don't have the S/N with me - this is the model year of the engine/drive)
Mercruiser "R" sterndrive

I'm wondering what special tools I need in order to replace the gimbal bearing, exhaust and CV bellows, and the water hose. While I was checking the boat before our first outing of the year yesterday, I found a large hole in the water hose. I did a band-aid fix with a coupler and a portion of new hose but now I want to get in there and just do everything so I don't have to worry about it. I'm pretty sure that it's been 10 years or more since it's had any particular attention...

I have the manual and it lists a couple of special tools but I have no idea what they are or if there's a work-around. Input is appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser R pre-alpha bellows gimbal tools

Yours should have hinge pins and not SS nails. remove the trim limit and sender, a 1/2 inch allen should work to take the pins out. Some hi-heat may be necessary if red lock-tite was used.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Doc,do you just heat the bolts(hinge pins)? And how much do you need to heat them,red or not so much?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

do you just heat the bolts(hinge pins)? And how much do you need to heat them,red or not so much?

you can use a propane torch and just heat the heads of the hinge pin bolts, 30 seconds is enough

you wont get them red hot unless you use oxy/acetalene - which would be WAY too much heat

bspeth

Good enough thanks.

NWVintage

Seaman

Okay, sounds like a no for the removal of the housing.

What about installation of the gimbal bearing? I've seen some talk of that requiring a special tool to get it in there flush. Is there a workaround for that?

bspeth

I saw a guy on you tube who used the old gimbal bearing race on the end of a 2x4,when its time I think I will try it out.Others on here would know more than I however.