Gear housing gasket position

karbine98

Cadet
Ready to reinstall MC-1 outdrive. Got gasket set with paper gasket for bellhousing, o-ring for water intake, and the larger rubber ring for the gearhousing. I can't tell from illustrations and the many videos I've watched where exactly I put that larger rubber ring. I know I am supposed to glue it in place. It seems to be larger in diameter than my gear housing. Do I glue it into the bellhousing opening itself or to the front of the gear housing onto that retaining nut. Hope I'm making enough sense for the experts on this great forum to figure out what I'm asking. Also hope I didn't tweak position of the prop and shifter rod when reassembling the upper and lower halves of outdrive. I only moved prop shaft in counter-clockwise direction after turning shift rod clockwise. I'll find out eventually. Thanks in advance, Greg

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Gear housing gasket position

Glue the ring in place into the bellhousing opening (all the way in) with bellows adhesive (or similar, like weatherstrip adhesive). Some just use grease to hold it in. I glue it everytime. As far as knowing if you have the shiftshaft set right...do a couple simple tests. Turn the shift shoe CW while rotating the prop CCW until it locks. Is the shoe pointing straight forward (12 oclock)? Should be good to go... You can also move shift shoe CCW to the 10 oclock (or so) position, and turn the prop CW until it locks. Does it? again, should be ok then. Go back to 12 oclock with shift shaft while locking the prop CCW, then hold the prop there with a bungee cord. (make sure your shift lever is in fwd gear position....and NOT throttle only fwd, either!!) Ready for install!

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah, you will feel a ridge on the inside of the bell housing opening, you glue the ring up against that.

karbine98

Cadet

Thnx guys. That made my life a lot easier. Seems like on every video I'd seen about remounting outdrive no mention was ever made of that rubber ring. I may have figured it out once I went back up to the barn and looked at the bell housing but I'm so burned out from anesthesia call I'm not too sure if my brain is fully functional. Doing another 96 hour call now.