4.3 Mercruiser engine swap

GeoffreyO

Recruit
I have been searching the interweb all day looking for the answer to this question. I have a 82 model 190 Catalina with a 4.3 mercruiser, the engine is cracked and one freeze plug blowed out. The oil is extremely milky too. I had it checked out after I bought it and they found the crack. I wanna know if I can take a 4.3 chevy s10 engine and put it in the boat??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 Mercruiser engine swap

as long as you put the marine components on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

welcome aboard.

you can take the truck block and heads, install brass freeze plugs, and marine specific head gaskets.

then swap over all the marine exterior parts (oil pan, manifolds, electrics, fuel pump, etc.)

you will want to stay with a pre 1985 V6 to make all your parts bolt over. the V6 has had many changes over the year

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I have a 82 model 190 Catalina with a 4.3 mercruiser,
the 4.3 was invented in 1985. You probably have a 3.8L Chevrolet (229 Cu In) V6 if it's an 82. You can still use a 4.3 but you'll have some marine parts that won't transfer (ignition, flywheel, coupler etc)

Bondo

Staff member

I have been searching the interweb all day looking for the answer to this question. I have a 82 model 190 Catalina with a 4.3 mercruiser, the engine is cracked and one freeze plug blowed out. The oil is extremely milky too. I had it checked out after I bought it and they found the crack. I wanna know if I can take a 4.3 chevy s10 engine and put it in the boat??

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I agree with Howard,... There weren't any 4.3l motors in '82,....

GeoffreyO

Recruit

Well guys someone must have had already changed it before because it has a 4.3 in it. The engine runs really good and hate to scrap it the crack isn't that bad and I just put a new freeze plug in it. Is it anything I can do to the crack?

Bondo

Staff member

Well guys someone must have had already changed it before because it has a 4.3 in it. The engine runs really good and hate to scrap it the crack isn't that bad and I just put a new freeze plug in it. Is it anything I can do to the crack?

Ayuh,.... Cracks to the Outside can be epoxied, so long as there ain't any cracks into the oil,...

You've got cracks into the oil,...

It's an anchor, ya need a replacement Long Block, atleast,....