Ratcheting sound when in reverse gear.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I had a thread about the alpha 1 drive not engaging in gears after pulling and replacing the drive, turned out the shoe and rod where not seated properly. Pulled the drive out with shift in full forward, like a poster mentioned. Pulled the drive, and re installed minding the shoe and rod. Drive went in nice and smooth....tightened everything down and started the motor......NOW...
Forward gear engages fine no problem. Reverse gear engages but an intermittent ratcheting sound is audible, and the normal ratcheting sound right before the gear engages is not present...What did I do wrong this time?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ratcheting sound when in reverse gear.

sounds like a slight cable adjustment is needed

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like a slight cable adjustment is needed

I just tried. When I take the lower shift cable of the stud,put shifter into reverse, and pull of the tip of the cable like the manual says, when I have the prop turned clockwise, it does not lock, it keeps going with a slight ratchet sound. THis is only in reverse. Forward engages fine. I rechecked the rod and shoe to make sure they were seated properly and they are.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

see page 2A-11 left pic .you may have to split the drive if your off a spline. check the lower shift shoe to see if its in a straight line in fwd. not 11:30 or 12:30 but exactly 12:00

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

see page 2A-11 left pic .you may have to split the drive if your off a spline. check the lower shift shoe to see if its in a straight line in fwd. not 11:30 or 12:30 but exactly 12:00

The shoe IS in the 12 o clock position in forward gear.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

try removing the lower cable (the one with the brass barrel) and pull to see if you can manually get full reverse. If not, remove drive
and try to get reverse, the brass shoe should be around 10:00.more than 1030 and the shift spool is suspect.
forgot the link http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

try removing the lower cable (the one with the brass barrel) and pull to see if you can manually get full reverse. If not, remove drive
and try to get reverse, the brass shoe should be around 10:00.more than 1030 and the shift spool is suspect.
forgot the link http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf

Also, the brass barrel on the lower shift cable seems to be seized, not moving in either direction.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If it dosent move ,it cant be adjusted. Check you local shops for a used one. If not I have some.Loosen the 2 small square head bolts, slide black plastic end off, unscrew threaded guide.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it dosent move ,it cant be adjusted. Check you local shops for a used one. If not I have some.Loosen the 2 small square head bolts, slide black plastic end off, unscrew threaded guide.

I will check the salvage yard today see if I can find one....

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked the salvage yard and got a working part. before I installed, I tried shifting the drive with the motor on, by pulling the cable by hand. I was able to shift into fwd with ease, but for my life it would not go into reverse, it would ratchet the whole time, but the clutch never catches on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

oh then, time to pull the drive and post some pics. this is the manual for the drive http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf
page 4A-19 step 7 should be no slack in the slide. also the roller part must still be on the arm ,a little black roller,
outside chance the splined shaft is very rusted allowing slack from the shift shoe

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh then, time to pull the drive and post some pics. this is the manual for the drive http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf
page 4A-19 step 7 should be no slack in the slide. also the roller part must still be on the arm ,a little black roller,
outside chance the splined shaft is very rusted allowing slack from the shift shoe
I should mention that before I pulled the drive the first time, both gears were engaging fine. I am sure it's something I did wrong.
Bt Doctur.. could you be more specific on the black roller?
Also, when you say pull the drive, are you referring to the whole thing, or just the lower unit?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Pull the whole drive circled in red is a small black plastic wheel held captive on the arm. known to break away
Untitled43_zps60fa845b.jpg

Are you shifting into reverse with the drive raised up into trailer mode? If so, that could be your reason. U joints being stressed. When running and shifted into reverse does the prop engage?

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you shifting into reverse with the drive raised up into trailer mode? If so, that could be your reason. U joints being stressed. When running and shifted into reverse does the prop engage?

No, the drive is trimmed down. It sounds like it's not engaging by just a spline. I suspect I may have lost fwd gear when reinstalling, but fwd engages just fine. Can someone list the step by step instruction on how to re-install the drive to get reverse working again?