2001 Mercruiser 3.0 oil valve cover to flame arrestor

ringorob

Cadet
I have a 2001 3.0 Mercruiser 135HP. The motor was rebuilt last year and only has about 20 hours on it. The boat was winterized end of last year and kept in a garage. Took the boat out for the first time this weekend. Boat started up and ran great. Had the boat out for about an hour at trolling speed and then opened it up, not WOT but about 2/3. After about 10 minutes the boat just did not feel right, hesitating a little. Opened up the cover and saw oil all over the inside, coming from the valve cover to the flame arrestor. Oil was coming out of the corrugated hose coming from the valve cover to the arrestor (no PVC valve). Lowered the throttle and the oil stopped coming out. Oil pressure stayed around 35PSI. Brought the boat home, took off the arrestor and started the motor. Started right away and ran great. Could not hear any motor problems (tapping or knocking). I am going to do a compression test this week. My flame arrestor was also very clogged, I am cleaning that now. Lost about a quart of oil from the blow back.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 2001 Mercruiser 3.0 oil valve cover to flame arrestor

Time to do a compression check if your oil was not way over filled.

ringorob

Cadet

Time to do a compression check if your oil was not way over filled.

Yes, going to do the compression test this week. Put about 3/4 of a quart of oil in before heading out due to the dipstick showing low. I wondered if the dipstick was showing the wrong level and I overfilled.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

So then drain it all, replace the oil filter and start over with 5 quarts

ringorob

Cadet

Yes, it is 4 quarts. Would I also be better off using the synthetic oil vs. regular?

oldjeep

Admiral

Yes, it is 4 quarts. Would I also be better off using the synthetic oil vs. regular?

Just regular 25W-40 is what merc says to use. No reason to get fancy. I always used the Quicksilver brand - $24 a gallon jug.

juanc

Recruit

hi, Guys, I have same problem, wonder if a 92 mer 3.0 use pcv valve same thing to me it I can see some oil coming from same place

Murphy's Law

Recruit
I'm also getting oil blow by, my valve cover gasket is bad I know, having trouble getting the valve cover off to replace it. Does the shifter bracket have to come off and if so how? Time to do a compression check if your oil was not way over filled.[/QUOTE]

i to am having same problem fresh rebuild had problem before rebuild and yes i replaced the rings is there suposed to be a screen of some kind inside valve cover

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
my valve cover has a square box built below the breather tube it goes almost to the top of the head.

thanks elk i think there are to types mine has like a slot bout 1in wide below the tube im thinkin should be steel wool like stuff in there but thanks for reply