Mercruiser 165 L6 distributor

ChadD80

Cadet
I recently got a 1979 mark twain with a mercruiser 165 L6 motor, soon after that I found a cracked block. Searched junkyards for a block to rebuild as a marine engine. Got a HEI distributor out of a Chevy truck. Is there any reasons I should not use this distributor in a marine engine?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 165 L6 distributor

Hi Chad and :welcome:

One VERY good reason not to use a car/truck distributor (or any electrical or fuel system parts) in a boat is.... :boom:

Automotive parts don't have the required spark and flame arresting design that marine parts do....

Chris......

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

One spark in a "automotive" distributor + fuel fumes under "the hood" = one big boom. People in hospital, morgue. Boat on lake floor, salvage yard.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boat engines arnt open to the air like cars, so fumes collect in the engine compartment, thus the need for a blower. If you use an elect componet not designed for this and its sparks, boom...good bye boat! I'm all for saveing money with boating and using components from the auto equvilent when possible, but electric components are a must to be marine designed.....to dangerous otherwise.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you could use the 300 cu in IL6 too.you need to make sure the 2 ears are there for the front mount. they can be fabricated with 1/2 inch alum angle .
Or construct to stringers to accept side mounts like an inboard.

ChadD80

Cadet

Well thanks for the input, I knew only use marine starters and generators for that reason but for some reason never thought of it now. Thanks for the help

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chad. Where are you located? I have what I think is a good 165 L6 block that is taking up room in my garage. I am in Northern California.

MikDee

Banned

Maybe you could somehow seal that HEI Dizzy, to make it work? I think electronic ignition is the best thing since sliced bread! As long as it works right.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Maybe you could somehow seal that HEI Dizzy, to make it work? I think electronic ignition is the best thing since sliced bread! As long as it works right.

There's more to marinising a dissy than just 'sealing it up'... It has to be designed as a marine distributor right from the get-go. Very difficult after the fact. And even if you did manage to get it sealed and vented properly, it's still not a marine dissy in the eyes of the law (and USCG). Should something happen in the future, dissy's fault or not, the law will take a very dim view. The litigation lawyers would have a party with it....

If you want electronic ignition, use the original points dissy and an electronic conversion kit... Electronic Conversion Kit - Sierra

Chris.....

ChadD80

Cadet

I'm in central IL, so your motor in northern CA probably a bit too far to help me, but thanks

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Chad...just seen a ad on CL Cincinnati that i guy has a staright six motor for sale.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Forgot to add......Its in the boats section

Good Luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you could use the 300 cu in IL6 too.you need to make sure the 2 ears are there for the front mount. they can be fabricated with 1/2 inch alum angle .
Or construct to stringers to accept side mounts like an inboard.

do you mean the 292? the 300 was a ford motor