Alternator wiring repair question on 4.3 MC

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm in the process of pulling the alternator to have it bench tested prior to even worrying about trying to fix the wiring problem. Here is a pic of my alternator where the PO had ripped the positive batt+ and the ign+ wires out of the back and then did a shoddy repair to them. There is no repairing them now as when I got the donor motor the wires were broke off where they enter the case insulator.

And what the wiring is from a schematic.

When the alternator tests out good I plan on breaking open the case and replacing the wires internally. I've never done this with a marine version alternator before but have soldered many wires and circuit boards with success. Has anyone done this before or have any tips / suggestions to pass on for this job?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alternator wiring repair question on 4.3 MC

That is only a plug end that plugs in the alt first, then the screen cover goes on. No big deal for and repair facility
Bit I would have it changed to a single wire alt .it eliminates those 2 wires.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Alternator wiring repair question on 4.3 MC

Yeah I thought about converting to 1 wire but I would still have to do the repairs. I actually prefer the 3 wire set up to 1 wire and I know there's some debate on the subject but 3 wire is said to have stronger more consistent voltage to the ign mod and the electrical system. Also I think my harness uses the 3 wire for voltage sense at the dash gauge. Just repairing the wires and not dropping a bunch of bank on a new alternator is really my goal on this. The 3 wire isn't a big deal to me and the wiring harness is in good shape.