1986 Mercruiser alpha one shift cable

CZESSIN

Cadet
First off i am new to the forum and have been browsing around for the last several months and i must say this seems to be the best forum by far! The problem i am having is i am trying to adjust my lower shift cable and i have seen the threads around here and i have downloaded the pdf file for the proper adjustment. I don't know if i am missing something but when i pulled the lower shift cable out and pushed in while turning the prop counter clockwise to lock it in place the measurement from center of brass barrel to center of end guide came out to be 5 3/4 inches. When i adjusted it to the proper six inches the cable had to be pulled out of gear in order for it to line back up in place. I don't know if i am missing something or just completely stupid but if somebody could help walk me through it so i get it correct i would greatly appreciate the help. By the way it is on a 1986 Sea Ray Seville with the mercruiser 140 alpha one outdrive with morse cables and morse throttle control. Thanks for the help!!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1986 Mercruiser alpha one shift cable

First off i am new to the forum and have been browsing around for the last several months and i must say this seems to be the best forum by far! The problem i am having is i am trying to adjust my lower shift cable and i have seen the threads around here and i have downloaded the pdf file for the proper adjustment. I don't know if i am missing something but when i pulled the lower shift cable out and pushed in while turning the prop counter clockwise to lock it in place the measurement from center of brass barrel to center of end guide came out to be 5 3/4 inches. When i adjusted it to the proper six inches the cable had to be pulled out of gear in order for it to line back up in place. I don't know if i am missing something or just completely stupid but if somebody could help walk me through it so i get it correct i would greatly appreciate the help. By the way it is on a 1986 Sea Ray Seville with the mercruiser 140 alpha one outdrive with morse cables and morse throttle control. Thanks for the help!!

Are you working with an old or new shift cable?

Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 6 - 1983-1990 - R, MR, Alpha One & Alpha One SS Sterndrives

And :welcome: to iboats

CZESSIN

Cadet

Sorry I should have specified it is an old cable

CZESSIN

Cadet

ALLDODGE,

for whatever reason it is not allowing me to open your link successfully but I do appreciate the help. This is the last thing I wanted to do before dropping her in the water this coming weekend so hopefully I can get the help and get her adjusted and operating well.

alldodge

Staff member

ALLDODGE,

Your issue may be because it is an old worn cable and needs replaced

for whatever reason it is not allowing me to open your link successfully but I do appreciate the help. This is the last thing I wanted to do before dropping her in the water this coming weekend so hopefully I can get the help and get her adjusted and operating well.

The link probably works but in most cases it takes a long while to load. You can go to this link and then select Manual No 6, which is probably what your working from

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

alldodge

Staff member

First part didn't make the trip

Since you have an old cable it could be the reason it is not working is because the cable is stretched. The shift cable stretches most often and you may just need to replace it

CZESSIN

Cadet

well the cable does function and is not sticky however last season it was having trouble from reverse back to neutral it wanted to shut off so thats why i figured i would try to adjust first before replacing it. I appreciate the help and i have the same manual for adjusting the cable i guess the question i have is that when i adjust it to the proper 6" is it ok to have to pull the cable out of gear to be able to connect it back into place or do i need to first place the throttle control in forward and continue on? that's where i am confused now i havent done the remote cable adjustment yet which may be why i am missing something so hopefully i can get it cleared up.

CZESSIN

Cadet

Ok ill do that thanks for the help guys