Side Motor Mount Lag Bolts on 1990 Alpha one backing out

beercan67

Cadet
Hello!!!! I looked at the bolts on my motor today. The 2 on the port side appear to be backing out in a crooked fashion. In other words, looking at them facing the back of the boat, they are flush on the right, and about 1/8 to 1/4 inch high on the left. Checking the starboard side bolts, one of the 2 is flush, and the other is backing out crooked, but its backing out in the opposite direction of the 2 on the port side. I could see the bolts all leaning the same way if the motor was starting to lean in one direction, but this is not the case. I'm terrified of putting a wrench on these rust bucket bolts, but the washer on one of them is REALLY rusty and ready to press through if I crank on it. Could you experts chime in on this please?? Thanks!!!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Side Motor Mount Lag Bolts on 1990 Alpha one backing out

Not sure on the boat your working on, however generally if the lag bolts are that rusty, the mount below is not in the greatest shape either. I would put a wrench on them, if they come out easy and the bolt is wet, you will need to pull the motor to rebuild the mounts, and possibly the stringers.

If the bolt comes out, and the mounts are solid, drill a few test holes looking for moisture. if there is no moisture, use a 2-part epoxy (marine tex) or 5200 to seal the test holes back up. then install new lag bolts.

Bondo

Staff member

Hello!!!! I looked at the bolts on my motor today. The 2 on the port side appear to be backing out in a crooked fashion. In other words, looking at them facing the back of the boat, they are flush on the right, and about 1/8 to 1/4 inch high on the left. Checking the starboard side bolts, one of the 2 is flush, and the other is backing out crooked, but its backing out in the opposite direction of the 2 on the port side. I could see the bolts all leaning the same way if the motor was starting to lean in one direction, but this is not the case. I'm terrified of putting a wrench on these rust bucket bolts, but the washer on one of them is REALLY rusty and ready to press through if I crank on it. Could you experts chime in on this please?? Thanks!!!!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What motor,..?? Got any pictures,..??

beercan67

Cadet

Shoot an email to me the pix are too big to post. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

use photobucket.com. its free and it works