Reverse lock valve

dozerII

Admiral
Got a couple questions for the Pro's, I have a 1976 Mercruiser 120 motor #4479938, drive 4525102 and transom 572104
The trim pump was replaced by a P/O to the one in the pictures. Olydine.

First question is, with this pump do I need to use the reverse lock valve? I just did a complete rebuild on the boat and replaced all the hydraulic lines with high pressure.

If I don't need the reverse lock valve, big if, do I just join the two hoses that attach to the RLV? And do I just run the shift cables as they were to an inoperative valve?

Thanks in advance for ay help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Reverse lock valve

Ayuh,.... That pump just needs two lines run straight to the hyd. manifold under the transom housin',....

Delete/ ignore the reverse valve,...

dozerII

Admiral

Ayuh,.... That pump just needs two lines run straight to the hyd. manifold under the transom housin',....

Delete/ ignore the reverse valve,...

Your the man Bondo,Thanks, so I just run the shift cables the way they were on the RLV?

dozerII

Admiral

One more question on this system, the P/O was running 10/30 in it I cleaned it our and refilled it with the same, is this acceptable or should I flush it and fill with ATF?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

One more question on this system, the P/O was running 10/30 in it I cleaned it our and refilled it with the same, is this acceptable or should I flush it and fill with ATF?

Thanks

Ayuh,... Yer choice,... Merc has recommended both over the years,...

fishrdan

Admiral

I did that conversion and Bondo is spot-on, just by-pass the RLV while leaving the shift cables connected to it.

One thing though, I filled the RLV with oil and capped it off, so the pivot of the assembly wasn't running dry while shifting.

dozerII

Admiral

I did that conversion and Bondo is spot-on, just by-pass the RLV while leaving the shift cables connected to it.

One thing though, I filled the RLV with oil and capped it off, so the pivot of the assembly wasn't running dry while shifting.

Thanks for the info.