Mecruiser Alpha l lower unit proper gear hook up?

JKing1990

Recruit
I am trying to install my lower unit of my outdrive back into place, but every time I get it hooked back up, the gears don't seem to line up correctly. The splines are lined up correctly and it seems hooked up with the piece the spines go into, but when I try to going from neutral to forward, it wouldn't let it, like something is keeping it from going forward. I've taken it off and reinstalled it many of times, moving the piece the splines hook up into around, having it in neutral or forward, or reverse when I hook it back up, but nothing seems to work.

Please help me!

A better explanation

What should be the position of the linkage that connects to the stern drive?

Alpha l

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mecruiser Alpha l lower unit proper gear hook up?

I am trying to install my lower unit of my outdrive back into place, but every time I get it hooked back up, the gears don't seem to line up correctly. The splines are lined up correctly and it seems hooked up with the piece the spines go into, but when I try to going from neutral to forward, it wouldn't let it, like something is keeping it from going forward. I've taken it off and reinstalled it many of times, moving the piece the splines hook up into around, having it in neutral or forward, or reverse when I hook it back up, but nothing seems to work.

Please help me!

:welcome: to iboats

You need to put the throttle handle in full forward. Take the shift foot below the drive shaft and turn it straight forward to match the shift foot on the gimbal. While holding the foot straight forward on the drive, turn the prop counter clockwise until it locks in place. Take a bungee cord and attach to the prop to hold it in the counter clockwise position. Slid the drive back on the gimbal and connect the shift cable, bolt up, then remove bungee and try it out

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Mecruiser Alpha l lower unit proper gear hook up?

Sounds like he has an Alpha I, and having trouble lining up the intermediate shaft on the lower shift shaft. So what alldodge said then have to turn the lower shift shaft (short splined sfaft) all the way clockwise, then turn the prop counterclockwise, bungee and put together. That way both the control and gearcase (lower) will be in forward.