Mercruiser shift cable adjustment problem......

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice
Changing title to thread, see if it gets more hits............

I've been reading many threads on shift cable adjustments for Mercruiser Alpha outdrives. However, I have not seen any that have mentioned drives with Morse-Teleflex remote control cables. I have a 1992 4.3 liter that has this type of cable, or cables as they came together as an aftermarket package, throttle and control cables. This cable is red, and has a plastic barrel shaped thingy where there would normally be an adjustable brass barrel. This is the upper cable, or remote control cable. It is also equipped with a plastic shift assist assembly.

So my problem in going through the shift cable adjusment process is how are these cables adjusted? I have the bottom cable checked for excessive slop (only 3/8") and have adjusted to the 6" center to center dimension for the brass barrel and the hole on the end, have put back into place. I'm now ready to adjust the remote control cable. I've been told by one person that there's adjusment in the control box itself, but nothing specific in how.

Anyone out there that can help me with this, it is greatly appreciated.

Don

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser shift cable adjustment problem......

Boy are you impatient. Start a new thread after 36 minutes because you want more hits. Give it a chance, we work for free.

What remote do you have? It's difficult to tell you how to adjust a box with no info or even if the box is adjustable.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The Teleflex cable adjustment procedure is exactly the same is the genuine cable adjustment procedure, except that the adjustment is made with the cable anchor fitting, not the 'brass barrel'. That's the very end fitting of the cable. Get it set right, turn the end fitting back 4 turns, then tighten the lock nut down onto it. Mount it up on the shift plate and test it... Make minor adjustments accordingly.

Chris.....

BTW, you can edit the thread title, you didn't need to start a new thread. I also think the previous title was more accurate, this one lead me to think you had a Mercruiser shift cable...

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

"Boy are you impatient. Start a new thread after 36 minutes because you want more hits. Give it a chance, we work for free."

My apologies.....I'm not impatient. I just looked at the title and had second thoughts on whether it was specific enough to the problem I'm having.

"What remote do you have? It's difficult to tell you how to adjust a box with no info or even if the box is adjustable."

As for what remote I have.......I don't think, or recall seeing a brand name or model on the remote housing itself. But I will go and check again as soon as I get home.

Fun Times

Staff member

As for what remote I have.......I don't think, or recall seeing a brand name or model on the remote housing itself. But I will go and check again as soon as I get home.
If possible, photos may help someone recognize what controller you have.

Typically with an OEM cable there is no "cable" adjustment in the control handle/mechanism. But since you have a 33c cable, depending on how much of the cable thread was used or not used, you may have to do some fine tuning if you cannot achieve it at the engine end.

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

"The Teleflex cable adjustment procedure is exactly the same is the genuine cable adjustment procedure, except that the adjustment is made with the cable anchor fitting, not the 'brass barrel'. That's the very end fitting of the cable. Get it set right, turn the end fitting back 4 turns, then tighten the lock nut down onto it. Mount it up on the shift plate and test it... Make minor adjustments accordingly."

As far as I can tell, the end fitting of the cable, which looks like a red plastic barrel with a slotted neck, is not adjustable. It spins freely around the cable, but does not move in or out. I probably need to snap a picture and figure out how to attach it here so it makes sense. My description is not very good, I'm sure.

Last edited:

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

I took some pictures to show the type of cable and remote control box I'm trying to describe. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of what I was trying to describe earlier, thanks.

Don

Attachments

• photo.JPG2.JPG
    photo.JPG2.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo.JPG3.JPG
    photo.JPG3.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo.JPG4.JPG
    photo.JPG4.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo.JPG5.JPG
    photo.JPG5.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 6

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The end of that cable has a fitting and a nut to lock the fitting on. That is where you adjust it. Loosen the locknut and screw the end fitting on and off. You'll need to hold the 'end of cable' gently in order to stop it turning.

attachment.php

Chris......

Attachments

• teleflex.JPG
    teleflex.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 3

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

The end of that cable has a fitting and a nut to lock the fitting on. That is where you adjust it. Loosen the locknut and screw the end fitting on and off. You'll need to hold the 'end of cable' gently in order to stop it turning.

attachment.php

Chris......

Thanks Chris.......I will make the adjusments per your instructions and post the results.

Don

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, finished adjustment using Chris' directions above, put back together, put the muffs on and fired it up. Shifting seems to be working great. Shift cutout switch roller looks centered in the notch when in both gears. I'll put it in the water and test again to see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

Don

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got the boat in the water yesterday to see how my adjustments worked out. Shifting into forward is very smooth, however coming back into neutral, it stayed in gear. I could see the switch cutout roller was not in the detent position, slightly above. I moved the 7/16" shift lever adjustable stud nut up a bit from the bottom of slot, re-tested. It still would not come out of forward gear. Adjusted a bit more, (now it's a little over 1/2 way up in the slot) and still would not quite go into neutral. I gave the remote control lever a little slap with my hand and then it went into neutral. I figured I was close so I moved the nut up a bit more, but it still would not go into neutral out of forward gear. At this point I'm thinking maybe something else is not right, so I stopped making adjustments with the nut.

Shifting into reverse seemed better.......it hung up once or twice shifting back into neutral, but most of the time it would come back in fine when I shifted our of reverse and back in to neutral.

So I guess my question now is........is there any minor adjustments other than the sliding adjustable stud that I can make to get this dialed in correctly?

Don

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

if the roller was out of the V ,the motor should have been stumbling or stalled. If the shift interrupter is not working ,its almost impossible to come out of gear.

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

if the roller was out of the V ,the motor should have been stumbling or stalled. If the shift interrupter is not working ,its almost impossible to come out of gear.

The motor was not stumbling or stalling at all........and the roller was out of the the "v". But when I tapped the remote handle a time or two, the roller went back into the "v" and the boat went into neutral........so, what is happening?? Bad shift interrupter? Something is not making sense to me on this one.

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

the roller should stall the motor after moving about an 1/8 th inch. with the motor running push the arm with your finger. should stall the motor. 2A-12 this link http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf

So, if it doesn't stall the motor, which it did not when I had the boat in the water yesterday, what does that mean? Is it a bad shift interrupter or is it something else? I can't go and perform this test again right now as I am currently at work. On the last page of the attachment, there's something about checking the cut out switch timing. Could that be the problem?

Bondo

Staff member

So, if it doesn't stall the motor, which it did not when I had the boat in the water yesterday, what does that mean? Is it a bad shift interrupter or is it something else? I can't go and perform this test again right now as I am currently at work. On the last page of the attachment, there's something about checking the cut out switch timing. Could that be the problem?

Ayuh,.... Most likely bad or corroded wirin',... maybe unhooked,...

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

I just thought of something.........the cut out switch assembly is spring loaded of some sort, correct? Is it possible that it could be sticking a bit when I'm doing the shifting? Maybe a shot of some silicone spray would do the trick.......just thinking out loud here.

If the switch roller was out of the center for any length of time, the engine would stall out completely. There's a good possibility it's disconnected or not wired properly. Some people disconnect them because they stay engaged too long due to a worn out lower shift cable. They think the interruptor isn't working right when actually the worn cable is holding the switch in too long.

As the BT mentioned... while the engine is running and in neutral, just push the switch with your hand off center, it should stall the engine out. If not then time to trace out some wiring.

The switch will not (should not) move while on the trailer, only in water and coming out of gear into reverse.

Last edited:

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

If the switch roller was out of the center for any length of time, the engine would stall out completely. There's a good possibility it's disconnected or not wired properly. Some people disconnect them because they stay engaged too long due to a worn out lower shift cable. They think the interruptor isn't working right when actually the worn cable is holding the switch in too long.

As the BT mentioned... while the engine is running and in neutral, just push the switch with your hand off center, it should stall the engine out. If not then time to trace out some wiring.

The switch will not (should not) move while on the trailer, only in water and coming out of gear into reverse.

I'll check it out when I get home, thanks.

dplath311

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, just got done running the engine at home with the muffs on. Pushed the shift interrupter and the engine did not die. Checked the wires, cleaned them (there was some corrosion), and tried it again. Same results, engine did not die when pushing the switch. So, it appears I have a bad interrupter switch? Replace switch, and do the shift cable adjustment again?