Where should this washer go

forfun

Cadet
Hello,
I have a bit of dilemma. I have an Alpha One Gen 1 that I changed the impeller on. After I put lower and upper unit back together, I found a washer on the work bench, please see attached picture. Second picture is of the back nut, which already has a washer. I have looked at the manual and the parts diagram but I can not figure out where I missed it. I did put a bit of grease on the shift shaft washer and it did stick around so I know this can't be the shift shaft washer. Can anyone think of where it goes?

IMG_4647.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Where should this washer go

Hello,
I have a bit of dilemma. I have an Alpha One Gen 1 that I changed the impeller on. After I put lower and upper unit back together, I found a washer on the work bench, please see attached picture. Second picture is of the back nut, which already has a washer. I have looked at the manual and the parts diagram but I can not figure out where I missed it. I did put a bit of grease on the shift shaft washer and it did stick around so I know this can't be the shift shaft washer. Can anyone think of where it goes?

View attachment 229041
View attachment 229042

Ayuh,.... If ya had the Upper off, it looks like 1 of the five washers on the studs holdin' the upper to the gimbal,...

forfun

Cadet

I did take the drive off from the gimbal. I am relieved I don't have to separate the lower unit from upper again. Thanks Bondo!

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did that job last weekend. If it is not the upper, it is one of the bolts that hold the upper to the lower. Don't forget about the one under the anode.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

My guess is the fwd bolt on the upper water pump housing............w/o knowing the size of the washer.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Take another photo of the washer, but include a rule with it, so we can see the size..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ve had some people put the outdrive mounting washers on the side nuts and front nut. Outboard lowers use the washers, outdrives dont.

forfun

Cadet

Thanks to everyone who responded. It was one of the washers for outdrive nuts where it attaches to the bell housing.