trim/tilt issue on 97 mercruiser with alpha ! outdrive

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
my tilt / trim down button will tilt it down but the up button will do nothing. I have to use the trailer button to get the out drive back up. ANY and all sugestions will be appreciated

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim/tilt issue on 97 mercruiser with alpha ! outdrive

trim limit switch is bad ,if you bypass it the drive will raise all the way with the trim button.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

+1 bypass by going to the stern and locate the black wires that go into two connectors, one with a purple/white wire and one with two blue/ white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the connectors with a piece if insulated wire. See if the trim works. If it does the trim limit switch circuit is the problem. Might be able to clean the switch and get it working.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 bypass by going to the stern and locate the black wires that go into two connectors, one with a purple/white wire and one with two blue/ white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the connectors with a piece if insulated wire. See if the trim works. If it does the trim limit switch circuit is the problem. Might be able to clean the switch and get it working.

ok this morning weather broke so that I could bypass the trim limit switch. works great now. tried to clean the switch but no luck. so now my question is this.... what will it hurt to permanently bypass the switch? I know I probably shouldn't but what are my consequences if I did.

Bondo

Staff member

ok this morning weather broke so that I could bypass the trim limit switch. works great now. tried to clean the switch but no luck. so now my question is this.... what will it hurt to permanently bypass the switch? I know I probably shouldn't but what are my consequences if I did.

Ayuh,.... Mines been by-passed for better than 15 years,... Just don't Over-trim,....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Just be careful, with no limit it will work the same as the trailer, so you want to make sure you don't raise it too high when under way. It would be a good idea to lower it all the way before starting then trim up from there. Most of the time your optimum trim will be well below the upper limit.