scoring/grinding sound while in gear

I accidentally started my 5.7 litre bravo 3 drive engine while the drive was up, and the boat shook heavily, shut it down after 8 seconds. Did it again for another 8 second try before I realized the drive was full up. Now the boat runs and sihfts fine, but I hear a scoring sound while in gear. Cant hear it so much when Im running fast, but the engine noise is obviously louder. what should I check? Do you think I need to replace gimbal bearing only? Please help, thanks!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: scoring/grinding sound while in gear

I accidentally started my 5.7 litre bravo 3 drive engine while the drive was up, and the boat shook heavily, shut it down after 8 seconds. Did it again for another 8 second try before I realized the drive was full up. Now the boat runs and sihfts fine, but I hear a scoring sound while in gear. Cant hear it so much when Im running fast, but the engine noise is obviously louder. what should I check? Do you think I need to replace gimbal bearing only? Please help, thanks!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is there any oil in the drive,..??

The gimbal bearin' turns with the motor, in gear or out, don't matter,...

Ayuh your not kidding!! yes, the lower unit has clear oil, no milk, no shavings. Its not too loud, my Dad thinks mI crazy for worrying about it, but I don't want to get stuck up a creek without a paddle if you know what I mean.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

driveshafts do not like to be run when the drive is in the up position.

I would check your u-joints and the gimbal bearing.