Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo 3 Trim hose placement?

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone?. Just came back from evening cruise. Cruising very slow 950 RPM's I felt a gentle hit from the bottom and my steering wheel moved a bit. (not shallow water) maybe a piece of wood. I didn't think much about it, but when I got back to the lift and lifted it out of the water everything looked perfect except the "grounding" strap had broken off (tiny wire) but when I went to trim it up, it made a very different sound, and to make a long story short almost all my hydraulic fluid was in the bilge and the outdrive of course will not raise. I got down into the bilge and traced the lines into where it goes into the transom.
My BIG concern is how do I get to these lines as there is almost no room behind the engine. Could this be done by removing the drive, or is there a way to do it from the engine compartment?? Any Diagrams?

Thanks very much!
Rick

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo 3 0m012817 Trim Problem

You need to take the boat out of the water ,go to where the hyd lines connect . you remove the 2 mounting nuts and the plate with the lines pulls down for hose access.#32 page 2E-3 in here http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hse2.pdf

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

BT Doctur Thanks a bunch! Just what I needed…….

Rick

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo 3 Trim hose placement?

Hi guys, I am replacing the two hoses on the trim motor in an hour and I FORGOT to take pictures of the unit before I removed them?. DUH Looking at the trim pump assembly, is the closest to the front of the boat the high or low (black) pressure side??
Thanks!!

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 Bravo 3 Trim hose placement?

Black would be the up/high pressure side while gray is the down/low pressure.

On the trim pump, The gray hose will connect to the fitting closest to the yellow fill cap and the black hose will connect to the furthest away from the yellow fill cap.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you`ll know if its backwards when you try the pump

alldodge

Staff member

Hi guys, I am replacing the two hoses on the trim motor in an hour and I FORGOT to take pictures of the unit before I removed them…. DUH Looking at the trim pump assembly, is the closest to the front of the boat the high or low (black) pressure side??
Thanks!!

From outside the boat looking at the transom, the manifold UP lines go to the are closest to the transom, the down are closest to the drive. UP on the cylinders are closest to the transom and connect using 90 degree fitting. The line that goes forward along the side of the cylinder is DOWN

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes!!! I was looking at an old thread from Don S. and he stated that the GRAY hose was the high pressure hose, so that's what I did.... It's all back together and working perfectly. But I do want to make sure I put the hoses on correctly....

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re: Power trim pump hoses?
The gray (Older hoses were brown) are the high pressure up line, the black is low pressure down line.
Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
That is what the forums are for.
Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

alldodge

Staff member

You said it was working perfectly, sounds like it is connected correctly. Go boating and enjoy the season, another problem will be along....it's a boat :D

Fun Times

Staff member

You should be fine!. He may have been going off of memory and got them reversed, easy to do. Or maybe because the guy didn't supply a serial number so there was no way of looking it up.:D Let's just hope the man above us has not misplaced his serial number.....:eek: